Pioneer VSX 43 TX Volume Level ?

Diss

My VSX 43 TX came in, so I went ahead and hooked up the old AIWA speakers that I had( pretty small speakers, not powerfull at all). The volume is measured in db from -80db to +12 db. It seem after I have set these speaker up according to the manual, that I have to tur the volume level to -20db for a normal listening level for like movies,(not cranking just solid listening).

Is this because the speakers are crap or should it get loud way before that, -80db to -20db is a pretty big jump.

Thanks

Diss,

I just answered you in PM.

Just in case, with quintets, I am usually at about -25db to -20db. If I want to blow my brains out, I go as low as -10db. I am the same with the RF-15s as well, but that system is in a larger room.

Don't be too worried about the volume being so far. I doubt I can hear anything less then -60db anyways.. 9.gif

James

Please do not feel bad about your Pioneer's volume setting. I have the Klipsch reference system (see below) and Pioneer's Flagship receiver, the VSX49TXi, which calibrates itself. During most movies (in DVD), I set my volume control at -9 db and I get realistic sound levels from my speakers at that level. I was a bit concerned, too when I first got my Pioneer. But, I guess that's just the way they function. There certainly is no audible distortion at that level for me. Hopefully, yours is the same story. Also, when I watch digital cable, I must reduce the volume to about -16 db, as apparently the gain on my digital cable must be higher than that of my DVD player. Best of luck! Enjoy that Pioneer!

-Picky 2.gif

As you can see from my setup below, I have the Pioneer Elite VSX-43 too -- and I love it. As for the volume setting, I think the size and shape of the room play an important role. I have a 20x20ft sunken rec room. I find that I consistently have the Pioneer volume at -20 to -18 for normal cable tv, about -22 to -20 for digital cable, and -10 for DVDs. That receiver is very nice and powerful and will deliver distortion-free sound at high levels. The remote is a bit cheap for such a relatively expensive receiver, but I think that the Elite line of receivers is by far the most attractive models on the market with their piano black lacquer finishes and cool curves. Enjoy.