Phono cartridge damping

3dzapper

I was reading today at:

http://www.avahifi.com/root/audio_basics/ab_pdf/ab1982.pdf

The authur Frank Van Alstine, is a noted audio designer. He is talking about tone arm/cartridge/base resonance in a turntable. He advocates a "longhorn" added to the cartridge.( His longhorn is a weighted length of small brass tube glued to the front of the cartridge.)

Now, I didn't want to make my tone arm look like a "hooey stick" but, some of his other thoughts made a lot of sense. Like the fit of the stylus assembly where it mates to the cartridge. It's loose! A loose connection must loose response he says and I agreed.

So I took his advice and removed the dust brush from my Shure V15IV. Then took some rope-a-dope caulking and caulked the stylus to the cartridge being very careful to keep it away from the cantlever. Then I put a little in the headshell where it can't be seen.

Holy attack rate Batman! Can you say dramatic? I played the same recording before and after the damping, a direct-disc and wow. Then I put on Cat Stevens "Teaser and The Firecat" The improvement was well worth the little effort.

Rick