DVD limitations

soundog

I was reading a previous posting on what speakers would make the best Klipsch home theater system and I thought of my experience last night. I have an all Heritage HT which is a sonic knockout.

I just got the new SACD multi-channel soundtrack of Chicago and I have the DVD of the movie. NOW I know the limitations of DVD sound be it Dolby Digital or DTS (better than Dolby by a small, but significant margin). The SACD blows the DVD away!!! Until I had a direct comparrison, I didn't know how significant the difference was. While the present DVD sound may be fine for regular movies, it really needs to be improved for musicals and concerts.

Back to the previous topic, given the state of current DVD sound, I'm not sure how much of a difference there would be between the Refernce 7s and the Heritage speakers for regular movies. The newer speakers designed for HT might actually be better for regular movies. SACDs, musical and concerts would be a different matter but you really need SACD quality sound to make the Heritage speakers shine IMHO.

I think we are quite a ways from getting a new standard though, the industry is likely to be squabbling over what blue laser implementation is best for a while yet. While we're on the topic of limitations, video could be much improved as well. Why don't we have native 1080i on DVD?

----------------

On 9/12/2003 9:46:08 AM damonrpayne wrote:

Why don't we have native 1080i on DVD?
----------------

It takes up too much storage space. Getting true HD on DVD's for home movies is what the whole blue laser thing is about. Companies are trying to figure out how to make a DVD size disc fit all the information needed for 1080i presentations. The space limitations on the DVD disc are also the reason that a SACD or DVD-A will sound better. There is simply not enough room to put the higer res soundtracks on the disc. For the most part DVD movies are about providing the best picture and then fitting the best sound possible in the remaining space. Considering that both the sound and the video are heavily compressed I find it amazing that DVD's look and sound as awesome as they do.

Here is a good site that helps explains what is going on HD-DVD One Format Only

Laters,

You're right about the video limitations also. I find myself watching movies in HI DEF on HBO and Showtime even though I own the DVD just because the picture is so outstanding.

Well, it's really a problem, since technology is advancing so rapidly what's amazing today is obsolete tomorrow. Or, as in this case, one aspect of the A-V equation is better in one format; while another aspect is better in another format. Now if I can just syncronize the musical numbers from Chicago on SACD with the high definition cable feed of the movie when it plays on HBO....... Kind of reminds me of the time when one channel of a stereo broadcast would be on FM while another was on AM, but now I'm dating myself.

If you click on "Soundog's HT Systems" below you will get a list of all my equiptment. My DVD players are high quality progressive scan players but DVD is limited - it generates pictures at about half the rate (but twice that of broadcast TV) of High Definition cable signals. The audio data is compressed and limited in size compared to CDs which are limited compared to SACDs. My SACD player is an excellent modified SONY 775. While DVDs are very dramatic when it comes to usual movies - musicals and concerts require a lot more to sound "live" and that's were the auditory limitations of DVD are most noticable.

try denon i dont experience any of the shortcommings you speak of, the 2900 plays all formats exceptionally well. i think the reason being is because it uses dedicated readers for the different formats, most others use the same reader, and you cant expect that configuration to perfprm well in different formats12.gif

I have no doubt that the Denon 2900 plays all formats well (although one review I read, said don't substitute this machine for your dedicated CD player) , but are you saying that the sound quality of video DVDs played on this machine are the same as CDs which are the same as SACDs? And the quality of the picture from DVDs is the same as a High Definition cable feed?

My point was that a comparison of the same source material namily the movie musical "Chicago" in cd, dvd and sacd formats revealed to me the limitations of each format. Do you have a high definition TV to compare video resolution? I can not beleive that with Khorns you can not hear a very noticable difference between cds and sacds. Do you have identical source material in each format to make A-B comparisons?

you were comparing dvd and sacd, my comparisons were with dvd-a sacd dvd-v, all excellent and to my ear no noticable difference all fantastic, 1 better than the next, now cd is different, it only follows that the cd wont sound as good, but it still sounds excellent on the 290012.gif