Clean Cornwalls before first oiling?

groover

Hello all. I have read archives regarding the application of linseed oil and plan on oiling my '86 raw birch Cornwalls. I have one question though. Should the wood be cleaned or lightly sanded before the first application? Sorry if this has already been addressed; I didn't see any discussion on the topic.

-Thanks

HDBRbuilder was the guy who gave all the pointers on oiling. Search the forum for his posts.

My walnuts were not in bad shape, just dry, so I did nothing before Oiling mine and they turned out looking BRAND NEW. The grain looked awesome.

If I remember right, Andy recomended lightly sanding with fine steel wool.

JM

I wouldn't recommend using LS oil on your cabinets. I had raw Birch Heresys and the best way to clean it was with a damp cloth and if necessary, a bit of dishwashing soap (you can also use Murphy's oil soap but just a drop). If the cabinets are still dirty, I would recommend sanding them down with 280-300 grit sandpaper (I used a orbital sander) and then 600 grit sandpaper by hand - with the grain. Only sand down the wood enough to remove the dirt and be especially careful around the edges as the veneer is very thin. You shouldn't use oil and don't need a sealer unless the speakers are in a dirty, smoke-filled enviroment. If they are then you should consider finishing them with an oil stain, laquer, etc. Just my experience - hopfully HDBR will pipe in with the correct method.

He was on the board over the weekend but I don't think he checks in all that often anymore. He was the person who responded to my first post on the forum. He helped me out a lot. Too bad he's been laying low these days. When it comes to these topics, he's the best by far.