what to hear on Ken Burns JAZZ?

kjohnsonhp

Are there good intro to JAZZ tracks on this box set? I read all the fuss about Jazz on this board but haven't really done much listening. Someone loaned me the JAZZ box set so I thought I might pay close attention to some of the highlights and see if that might be a good eval to see if I want to go deeper in my exploration. If this isn't a good sampler then let me know that, too. There certainly are several big names and some songs I'm already familiar with.

I don't really care if it's not a great collection as a package, I'm just hoping there are a few good tracks to test.

I don't have this set, but I watched the series a couple of times (I don't bash it like most jazz fans did--for what it was, this was an excellent series). If the box set is anything like the series about 20% of the music will be Louis Armstrong! And there won't be much there after about 1965. There should be a TON of great music on these discs, but I'll a big chunk will not be "hi-fi" if that's a concern. I suggest you start with disc one and go from there.

There are lots of great cuts. "So What" - Miles Davis, "Take Five" - Brubeck, "Giant Steps" - Coltrane, just to name a few. It's a great Best of Jazz compilation. Just about everyone is on it.

There is a shorter version called "The Best of Ken Burns Jazz" which is great by itself (20 cuts).

I did notice the fidelity improved after a few discs.

I'll give you some impression on a few of the tracks after I do some more listening. I know that I struggle at times with John Coltrane. I have listened to my LOVE SUPREME on SACD about 5 times and haven't been motivated to spin it again. I think some of the other tracks are more mild on the taste meter. I usually find I need to start with the pop accessible sounds and then progress into the more spicey material.

KJ,

Many great cuts,yes.As Allan suggests,the fidelity does not represent the best of jazz sounds.Many of us enjoy the detail we hear in jazz recordings.There are many suggested on an earlier thread that will introduce you to that aspect of the genre.

SSH