Question for mOOn

cdsang

I have seen your site and looked around. I noticed you use to have the RC-7 for your center and later changed on to an RF-7. I am planing on doing a 3 RF-7 set up as well which I will be getting soon. I would like to know what your thoughts on the change. Like how it sounded with the RC-7 and how it sounded with the RF-7. I just hope I made the right move.

CD

cdsang,

UGH... This is a though question for me to answer. Were you around when I busted my wrist working on my theater back in January? If so, then you may recall how long it was between the time I tore everything out of my theater until the time I got everything moved back in...

Durring that time frame when everything had been under construction was when I got my RF7 to replace my RC7. Thus, I never had a chance to do an A/B comparrison and it had been waaaaaay to long for me to recall how it sounded with the RC7.

I will say this, I don't notice any negatives in making the decision. Well. if there was 1 negative, it would be screen placement. I have to keep my screen all the way up against the ceiling. No biggy really except that when I go to put in decor, I wanted to have a drapes down the sides and along the top of the screen.

It really is nice having 3 identical speakers up front. If the room was bigger, I may have even gone RF7s all the way around. I still entertain the thought of replacing my RS7s with RC7s.

I hope this helps. 1.gif

Oh yeah, almost forgot. NO you will not regret it. As I said, I don't recall exactly what it sounded like before, but it sounds fantastic now. You won't be dissapointed.

Sorry mOOn. Thank you for at least trying. I didn't realize there was a big gap between the 2 times. But I did read your post about you working on your own room. I would also like to say you have a pretty cool HT. The 3 towers just look so cool. Well, if you like to know what made me do this, THX rules say to use 3 of the same speaker up front. I realize about the 80 hz rule to, but I am no THX fan, but the idea does make sence. Also, tower speakers are never THX certified(that I know of).

I was also told, if you have an amp and a eq for each channel, you could get an SPL meter to make each speaker sound exactly alike. Just a thought. Again, thank you for trying.

CD

Sure no problem, but I didn't mean to make it sound like it was lots of work to answer your question. Was just trying to indicate that my memory of what it sounded like with the RC7 vs the RF7 was long gone. 4.gif

As far as all three sounding the same, I am not sure about your reciver but no matter what H/K tried to tell me on the phone, my center channel does not sound the same as the L/R. I even swapped the speaker wire from the center and the left. The sound signature that was coming out of the center was now coming out of the left. For some reason that center channel output on the H/K (both of my H/Ks mind you) does sound different. Some had suggested that it was due to the left or right being closer to the wall than the center... Nope, there is a definite difference in sound. It's not bad and definilty not something I am worried about, I only comment on this because you had mentioned something about getting all 3 to sound identical.

Hey m00n:

The THX folks would love you! They profess that ALL drivers should be identical (including the surrounds and rears), so you are 1/3 of the way there so to speak!9.gif I understand the screen-near-the-ceiling thing. The only way around that would be if you had a lot of room to place the RF-7 behind the screen and used one of those acoustically-transparent screens. I don't know about your place, but I know I certainly don't have much room to play with when it comes to placing large components. So, that is not an option for my HT. I have my RC-7 beneath my screen and no complaints, yet. I'm not surprised yours sounds so good! The entire front end it perfectly matched! That's pretty cool! -Picky 2.gif

Oops! I can see why you thought I had my RS7's in-wall by the way I had my profile worded. Sorry, m00n. It's the RCW-5's that are in the rear wall. The RS-7's hang by their mounting holes on each of the side walls. Sorry for the confusion!14.gif I have changed my profile to correct this. Thanks!

-Picky