One of the things I always envied about you guys...

maxg

....in the good ole US of A is that apparent ease with which you have access to the manufacturers of the products we all use and love.

Well - amazingly it just happened to me. Not, I should add for a Greek product (like the Tsakiridis amps I use) but for Nottingham Turntables, made in the UK.

I happened upon their distributor in Greece and merely asked if my, much modified, Project 9 arm would fit.

The dealer didnt know and decided to call the manufacturer to ask. On calling, they realised that it woulkd be easier for me to talk to the guy instead.

So, suddenly there I am talking to Tom Fletcher - head of the company (and I imagine chief designer).

We had a brief chat - followed by a longer one when I got home. Very nice guy. Not a businessman. Definitely in this for the love of music.

He has that peculiarly English thing that says I am running a business but I am not interested in maximizing it and therefore I will make it as difficult as possible for anyone to buy. They really have to want it to get it.

When was the last time you talked to a company without an internet address?

How about without an email address?

In fact, how about no computer? No access to the internet - zip!!

He is a really nice guy. He does love what he does. He makes, what seem to me to be really good value stuff that will not suffer in comparison to better known high end manufacturers at many times the price and he has been doing this for a very long time (40 years).

I am considering buying one of his turntables. For around $1000 I can get the Innerspace (or interspace - cant remember the model's name). Its a high mass design - the platter alone weighs in at 10 kilos (22 lbs). The motor is integral but is so small it does affect the playback noisewise. In fact it is so small it wont turn the platter - you have to do it by hand and then it just keeps the things spinning using the platter's own inertia.

One nice touch - it will take 2 tone arms. As soon as he discovered that the project arm has a Lynn Standard mount he confirmed he can make me a plate to fit. That means I can play my arm for a while and then buy his own unipivot design later when funds allow.

Dont know how that all stacks up in the US, but over here that looks pretty good value for money.

Should certainly show the old RPM4 the door....

"Keep your ideas open on this one including the upgrade of the tonearm"

Interesting comment. What do you mean?

As it happens the point is that I wont be upgrading the arm - merely adding an arm at some point in the future. Whether it should be their arm or another (RB250 / 300 / W.H.Y.) I cant say I know. Their's does look kinda cool though...

You know me Kelly - I am always open - do you think my money might be better spent on another TT??