adding Parametric EQ to HT system

bsacco

I'm considering adding a parametric EQ to my HT setup to control the sub amd mains' frequencies.

Does anyone have any experience in this area. I've heard of folks using the Beheringer Feedback destroyer for the sub. I'd like to find ONE unit that can handle the duties for both the sub and the mains.

Also, is there a way to minimize the added distortion this would add to the audio chain?

THanks in advance.

-bob

----------------

On 9/21/2003 8:37:28 PM CO1 wrote:

----------------

I've just been informed that the http://www.snapbug.ws/bfd.htm article is innacurate for several reasons...

1) The A/D converters in the Behringer stuff are horrid, but more importantly...

2) You cannot equalise the standing waves out of a room. It is true that you could get a flatter frequency response out of a speaker with e.q.......but only at ONE specific point in that room. If you move side to side, or front to back, it will change. ESPECIALLY bass frequencies. It is a nice thought and might do some good, if you only listen to music from the same chair. Different subs in the same room, depending upon your position in the room, can sound vastly different.

" It is true that you could get a flatter frequency response out of a speaker with e.q.......but only at ONE specific point in that room."

That isn't completely true. For things like the Allison effect (which is a power response problem throughout the room) and just peaks in the speakers response itself you can perform EQ that works for multiple points in the room.

For other problems you do need to do a sort of averaging over an area to be sure your EQ isn't making things worse elsewhere.

Shawn

----------------

On 9/21/2003 9:07:48 PM bruinsrme wrote:

bsacco

What are your goals in regards to EQ?

What kind of equipment are you running? This could help us make the appropriate recommendations whether it be ghetto equipment or the real deal or some where in between.

scott

----------------

Good idea.

My goals are to purchase a Yamaha Rx-Z1 or V1. I have a QSC USA 370 amp as power. I'm currently running Klipsch Cornwall II's, Home Theater Direct Level IV - 12" subwoofer, Toshiba 5109 DVD, and two SONY CX- 450 (2) in direct link.

My room/HT sound produces a 1-2k push that I would like to eliminate. I have a large room that has high 10' ceilings and a cement, carpeted floor. My initial thought was to EQ the sub and mains. Other ideas are to dump the Cornwalls (because of the more aggressive mids) and get a pair of Chorus 1's.

This whole episode started when I did a A/B comparison to my friend's Chorus 1's and found them to be more pleasant sounding in the mid-range. I ears tended to get fatiqued with the cornwalls. Maybe something is wrong with my Cornwalls in terms of one of the components in the crossover. ...who knows? I'm not an expert in this area. But to my ears, my speakers need EQ-ing.

----------------

On 9/21/2003 9:01:35 PM sfogg wrote:

" It is true that you could get a flatter frequency response out of a speaker with e.q.......but only at ONE specific point in that room."

That isn't completely true. For things like the Allison effect (which is a power response problem throughout the room) and just peaks in the speakers response itself you can perform EQ that works for multiple points in the room.

For other problems you do need to do a sort of averaging over an area to be sure your EQ isn't making things worse elsewhere.

Shawn

----------------

With all due respect.......no, not practically true. While it is true that

you can EQ for mulitple points in the room it can only be for 1) specific

frequencies or 2) specific points that are multiples of the frequency in

question. Not a practical way to listen.

".......no, not practically true."

The Allison effect effects certain frequencies at every point in the room. EQ will help let you correct for that. And since the EQ effects every where that is a good match.

On the same point if your speaker/subwoofer crossover region has a peak in its response it too is going to have the peak throughout the room. Again EQ will help there. On the same point if a speaker/subs basic response has a peak that will effect everywhere in the room. Once again EQ will help.

As far as EQing for room effects it has been my experience that you can improve things with EQ. But it takes a lot of time and very judicious use of the EQs.

Shawn

" This whole episode started when I did a A/B comparison to my friend's Chorus 1's and found them to be more pleasant sounding in the mid-range. I ears tended to get fatiqued with the cornwalls. Maybe something is wrong with my Cornwalls in terms of one of the components in the crossover. ...who knows?"

I'm assuming the 'voicing' of the CornWalls is similiar to the LaScala's and if it is I'd look into adjusting the autoformer for the mid-range driver to scale back the midrange a few dB in relation to the woofer and tweeter. That may be a better (and cheaper) path for you to take then using EQ for this.

Shawn

THanks Shawn.

Any idea on how to adjust the autoformer for the mid-range driver?

I have no idea what the autoformer is? I've sse pics of ALK crossovers but I have no idea what part of the crossover is the Autoformer. Also, So I replace the autoformer with a different value? Or is it an adjustment of some sort?

-bob

"Any idea on how to adjust the autoformer for the mid-range driver? "

Not on a Cornwalls crossover, sorry. I have La Scala's that I built ALKs for.

"So I replace the autoformer with a different value? Or is it an adjustment of some sort?"

It would be changing two wires coming out of the autoformer. You would also need to make other changes to the crossover as a result of those changes though to keep the crossover frequncies the same.

Or build the ALKs for the Cornwalls which will let you adjust the mid-range level without having to make other changes to the circuit. If you build them yourself they would end up costing less then a good quality EQ would.

Shawn