What do i need for PC HT

e.coli

I've got the V.400's a TNT2 ultra 800mhz Athlon and 19inch monitor. Since my TV is only 19 inch and I've allready got bad *** speakers for the PC I thought I'd ge a Creative DVD rom and do HT from my pc.

1. Is my TNT2 ultra sufficient?

2. What about downmixing 5.1 DD, DTS ect to 4.1?

3. I'm assuming that my monitor will give me video comperable to HD tv's. Is that a good assumption?

Thanks

We are assuming that you just want dvd capabilities on your computer, to be watched only by one person at a time, correct?

Or, do you want a living room Home Theater setup, that has a larger sweet spot, and have a PC be the basis of the setup?

------------------

"Feh."

This message has been edited by Gluegun on 05-27-2001 at 09:33 PM

Oooo....

then you're going to have to shell out the dough...

get an audiophile quality sound card.

get a geforce 2 mx...

get a reciever that does dolby digital and dts...

get some home theater specific speakers...

get a HDTV, or, if you don't mind a fairly small monitor, the Sony FW900 (24", widescreen, $2000)

Heheh...

------------------

"Feh."

I have an athlon 500 @ 770, creative tnt2, 17" monitor, and 4.00's. Also have a pioneer 16X slot load dvd. Anyway my setup works great for HT, the only ***** is my 17" monitor, but I am getting a projector soon...mmmm..... 120" screen. My room is aboy 4X7m, the only thing I can think of is that a center channel would be nice since my sats are 4m apart.. other than that it works awesome for 2-4 people, except for the small monitor I currently have. Hardware wise my PC handles the DVD decoding flawlessly, just make sure you use a good program like powerdvd 3.0, or better yet, windvd 2000 4 channel.

------------------

Caring is the first step toward disappointment.

If you really want great DVD quality, go for the ATI Radeon series of card - they offer the best DVD quality I've ever seen from a video card (not counting hardware decoder cards).

You can get a relatively cheap Radeon 32Mb DDR. If Video in/out is important, than go for the 64Mb DDR VIVO. The 32Mb VE version is weak in 3D, but offers just as good DVD quality.

The AE should serve you well for the sound.

And finally, get a DVD drive that is RC-1 region free (or one that you can patch to become region free). I personally like the Pioneer 16x slot DVD drive. Can be found at www.mwave.com for only $70 or so, and it can be patched to be regionfree by a patch from http://perso.club-internet.fr/farzeno/firmware/

i have an Sb live, a Gf2 mx with tv out , and the v2.400s they sound great in the living room, spent a whole afternoon placeing them now they sound 10x better than the surround sound techniques hometheater package ( with sub) with the gf2 mx u can watch it with Nvidia motion compensation, and on your Tv and monitor at the same time if you want. The one i have has Svid out and composite, they both work well while svid has a sharper image. I also recommend you dump powerdvd and get something thats not useless like windvd or something.

powerdvd = bad quality sound

powerdvd = poor surround

powerdvd = horrible phantom center

powerdvd = no bass

------------------

Download the latest ver. of Klipsch 3d Animation:

http://blake.prohosting.com/~swerv/subwoofer4.avi

This message has been edited by Swerv on 05-29-2001 at 04:36 PM