Getting a pair of Chorus II, Amp???

Bob243

Powerful solid-state amplifiers are NOT the sweetest or most economical way to go with big ole horns. Therefore, I also second the motion for low-powered vintage amplifiers with big ole horns. My thirty-year old Nikko (anybody heard one?) and harmon/kardon 330B receivers sound better than the few modern tin boxes I have heard with my Cornwall Is and Khorns. My next choice would be refurbished integrated or separate amplifiers from poster NOSvalues. My third and best choice would be the delicate sound of Bottlehead, Wright or Wellborne 2A3 amplifiers. Since the frequency response curve of a loudspeaker driven by tubes can reflect the impedance curve of the loudspeaker, I believe that big ole horns driven by flea-powered tube amplifiers need active subwoofer support to shore up the lower frequencies. I also think that main loudspeakers, which do NOT extend below 40Hz, should have subwoofers.

2.gif

Change of plans, I am going to pick them up on Sat. 9.gif

As a side note.... Since there seems to be alot of "tube" fans. I have always wanted to build a DIY amp... After looking at different schematics until my eyes went crossed, I decided the first one I build should probably be a kit. I would kinda like to build a 2A3-PP. I was thinking of getting the "Joplin" kit. Does anyone have any experiances with this amp?? good/bad?

Another question about sensativity. If I am currently running 200wpc into a set of speakers rated at 92db SPL would the ChorusII with a 101db SPL be as "loud" If I run them with a 25wpc amp? Am I figuring it correctly?

I took 200w(into 92db speakers) /2=/2=/2 equals 25w (into 101db speakers)

Ahh, don't worry, I wouldn't do that. The guy from the store told me they were already claimed. I was psyched to find a pair so close! The price is actually pretty good from what I've seen. Sure you don't want a pair of KG4s? :)

Oh well, back to the drawing board. Looks like I'm shooting for Chorus II or Forte II. Possibly Quintet is a really nice pair comes along.

Bob,

Those Chorus are sensitive; but the sensitivity lies in the horn tweeter and midrange... you still have those big fat cone woofers that love power, to move a lot of air.

The best my Fortes (slightly smaller sibling of the Chorus) have ever sounded was when I was powering them with a 185-watt per channel McCormack DNA-1 Deluxe (the Deluxe version has some better wiring than the standard edition, along with Cardas binding posts).

I did not know what kind of bass SLAM these speakers were capable of until I powered them with the quality high power of the McCormack amp. These units can be had on the used market for around $750 - $1000, less than half of original retail (audiogon is where I've done a lot of better-component buying and selling).

I understand, and do not deny the attraction of, the tube amps that many forum members swear by; but I would personally have tubes only if I owned one of the fully horn-loaded models (LaScala, Belle, or Klipshorn). I am convinced that cone woofers + high-quality, high-powered SS, is the way to go, at least for two-channel listening.

----------------

On 10/9/2003 8:59:07 PM chuckears wrote:

The best my Fortes (slightly smaller sibling of the Chorus) have ever sounded was when I was powering them with a 185-watt per channel McCormack DNA-1 Deluxe (the Deluxe version has some better wiring than the standard edition, along with Cardas binding posts).

I did not know what kind of bass SLAM these speakers were capable of until I powered them with the
quality
high power of the McCormack amp. These units can be had on the used market for around $750 - $1000, less than half of original retail (audiogon is where I've done a lot of better-component buying and selling).

----------------

Read alot of reviews on this amp today at work. WOW!! That sounds ALOT like what I am looking for.

I am a bit nervous about dealing with private sellers over the web.(at least for this kind of $$) .. Can anyone share some insight/warnings/expreiances/what to look for/etc.. on this???

Bob,

Look for positive (and negative) feedback from others with whom the seller has done business; audiogon and ebay both offer this service. Both of these also offer an electronic trail of sorts; with ebay, it's more obvious, in the form of showing bids, confirmation, etc. With audiogon.com, if you contact the seller from the audiogon.com web site, there is online, viewable confirmation that you have contacted the person.

I like to call the person and talk to them... I ask specific questions about the things that concern me (Original box, packaging, and manual available? Any scratches on the unit? Has it been used recently, to verify that the unit is operating properly?). This not only answers my questions, it also helps me get a feel for the person, to build trust.

When making payment, use a method that is trackable; USPS Priority has a trackable service, as do (obviously) the major delivery services.

I have had extremely good success with online purchases and selling. I know there are stories about people receiving broken merchandise, or items that are not as described. That is, admittedly, a chance you take when making this sort of purchase; but if you're patient, you should be able to hook up with someone who has something with which you'll be very happy... better ampifiers bought used have the benefit of having been broken in, and should offer years of use.

If a McCormack amplifier is to your liking, be aware that the Deluxe versions are highly desirable, with the Cardas binding posts and better internal wiring. Even more desirable are the units modified by Steve McCormack himself (Revisions A, B, or C; "A" being the best); these have been described as the best solid-state amplifiers you can buy... for more info, check out www.smcaudio.com Steve McCormack has answered all of my emails, and I have spoken with him on the phone a couple of times with questions about the unit which I (sadly) no longer own (my upgrade to 5.1 home theater required a single-amp solution, and the McCormack 5-channel was out of my price range).

Best of luck; and I know that there are many alternatives for powering your Chorus II's... this is just from my own experience...

I agree with Chuckears,

The Chorus IIs love lots of power. But good power! I had no idea what the chorus IIs were capable of until I got the Aragon 8008 MK II amp. I used to have Sony TA-N330ES amps bridged mono putting out 300 watts and thought it was wonderful, only to find that when I hooked up my Aragon amp there was no comparison... better, deeper, and well controlled bass, more details, more punch, better in every way. HUGE difference! Even though the Aragons are only rated 200 watts. Maybe the huge difference is because 26 watts are in Class A? I don't know what the reason is, but now my Chorus IIs SING!

I do not agree that SS amps sound harsh with the old Klipsch horns. Every tube amp I have heard sounds muddy to me. I think it is the lack of nice transients with a tube amp that I do not like. I can imagine some people would find the accuracy of transients of SS as being harsh, but the warm sound of tube amps is DISTORTION no matter what tube lovers might claim. The waveform going out of an amp should be as close as possible as the waveform going in... and in this regard tube amps fail miserably. SS is much more accurate to the original waveform. Of course, if you like the warm sound of a tube amp, then you should get one. It is all about what you LIKE. The same when CDs came out... so many old timers said they sounded harsh, but they were just not used to hearing the hard transients of the music as it is properly recorded. Klipsch speakers are similar, they have such dynamics, and are so "speedy" that the attack of notes and transients are much stronger making SOME people think they sound harsh, but they sound much more like live music, becuase that is how live music is as well. All personal taste really.

Regards,

Sean

Regards,

Sean

I just got done listening to Dave Mason "Certified Live" on my muddy lowly Scott LK-48 tube integrated.

A CD I purchased on a business trip in Japan about 4 years ago. The Japanese(except Sony) master and produce CDs quite well.

Strong rythym and blues rock with heavy drums, wailing guitar and ocassional 3 part harmony.

It was allot of music but certainly not muddy.

I have a 75 pound SS amp I have listened to for 3 years the Scott makes it sound only marginal from a music standpoint.

There are a lot of tube owners on here, and I do not mean to offend. But, like I said, it is just a matter of personal taste. I prefer the sound of SS over tubes because that "warmth" is not what I like. It is just my opinion that to me tubes sound very colored and not at all like live music. I am a musician and play in jazz bands and know what live music sounds like and TO ME SS comes closer to live music than tubes. Just like I think CDs sound more like live music than records. But again, that is just my opinion and preference and others would disagree. I do not mean to start a flame war. You have to admit though that tubes definitely change the sound that was recorded (more so than SS anyway). If it is a better sound is personal preference.

Regards,

Sean

----------------

On 10/13/2003 5:40:51 PM shank2001 wrote:

There are a lot of tube owners on here, and I do not mean to offend. But, like I said, it is just a matter of personal taste. I prefer the sound of SS over tubes because that "warmth" is not what I like. It is just my opinion that to me tubes sound very colored and not at all like live music. I am a musician and play in jazz bands and know what live music sounds like and TO ME SS comes closer to live music than tubes. Just like I think CDs sound more like live music than records. But again, that is just my opinion and preference and others would disagree. I do not mean to start a flame war. You have to admit though that tubes definitely change the sound that was recorded (more so than SS anyway). If it is a better sound is personal preference.

Regards,

Sean

----------------

Saying tubes add "warmth" is like saying all cars ride like a Chevy caprice, or some other model. Some tube amps are warm, some are cold and clinical. The better ones are quite accurate sounding. They are all different, just like ss amps sound different from each other.

Dave

1.gif1.gif