recent vinyl finds at Volunteers of America

Parrot

These are all in very nice shape, at 30 cents each, including box sets. In no particular order:

1) a German pressing of Schubert: Quintett fur Klavier, Violine, Viola, Violoncello und Kontrabass

2) Stravinsky: Firebird Suite: Bernstein/NY Phil

3) David Oistrakh: The World's Greatest Violin Concertos, 3 LPs Vax box set

4) Handel: The Sixteen Organ Concertos: E. Power Biggs, Sir Adrian Boult/London Phil, 3 LP box set (not bad on Klipschorns)

5) Nat King Cole: The Christmas Song

6) Van Cliburn: Rachmaninoff Concerto No. 3

7) David Del Tredici: In Memory of a Summer Day: Leonard Slatkin/St Louis Sym

8) Carly Simon: No Secrets (how could I *not* buy it with that cover?)

9) Treasury of Gregorian Chants, Vienna Choir of the Vienna Hofburg Kapelle, 3 LP box set

10) Pete Seeger's Greatest Hits (a Communist but harmless enough)

11) Beethoven Sym No 9: Ernest Ansermet/Suiss Romande Orch (one of the great great performances)

12) Dave Brubeck Quartet: Time Changes

13) The Greatest of Stan Getz

14) Nancy Wilson: Tender Loving Care

15) The Brothers Four: Try To Remember

16) The Billie Holiday Story Vol. 1 (2 LPs)

17) Frank Sinatra Sings the Select Cole Porter

18) Doris Day's Greatest Hits

19) Four Hundred Years of the Violin, Steven Staryk (6 LP box on Everest)

20) Bill Evans: Conversations with Myself

21) Belafonte at Carnegie Hall (mono 2 LP)

22) Mahler Symphony of a Thousand (No. 8): Abravanel/Utah Sym (2LP)

23) Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra, Szell/Cleveland

24) Richard Dyer-Bennet: Requests (no. 5) (wonderful old folk songs sung in tenor; his "Golden Vanity" is a killer)

And then as if it that weren't enough to keep me busy, I've been enjoying the Bob Dylan box set of 15 of his classics remastered on SACD/CD hybrids, with several of the titles in multi-channel. But this one wasn't a thrift shop find.

Great stuff. Ain't it fun? I'll never listen to all I have acquired. Probably won't get to that unopened box set of Senate hearings.9.gif I can't resist sealed lps no matter what they are, especially when they're under a buck.

I just finished listening to a previosly unopened "Still Crazy After All These Years."

Way to go Gary, you now have me hooked on Goodwill vinyl. I have purchased over 60 lps in the last three weeks. Pickings are slim here in Florida though. I am listening to Sade "Promise" right now. I picked up some Mozart "Kliene Nachtmusik", an album titled "120 Music Masterpieces", and Beethoven Symph 9 "Opus 125 Choral", hope I like them.

Have you heard of them?

----------------

On 9/30/2003 8:44:07 PM tillmbil wrote:

Way to go Gary, you now have me hooked on Goodwill vinyl. I have purchased over 60 lps in the last three weeks. Pickings are slim here in Florida though. I am listening to Sade "Promise" right now. I picked up some Mozart "Kliene Nachtmusik", an album titled "120 Music Masterpieces", and Beethoven Symph 9 "Opus 125 Choral", hope I like them.

Have you heard of them?

----------------

Bill, you sound like me. I have a hell of a collection of classical lps which I may or may not ever listen to. They're easy to find and almost always mint or near. I've played a few previously unopened classical lps that I was familiar with. Some were good, others really bad.

There are some classical buffs here who could tell you more. Larry Clare knows it all. You should see his classical collection (I did today). Maybe someday I'll be better educated in the classics. Right now I'm stumbling my way through jazz. It's fun though.

----------------

On 9/30/2003 8:46:33 PM paulparrot wrote:

Senate hearings?! Man, that would be tough. I had no idea that kind of stuff made it to LP.

The neat thing about 30-centers is you can experiment a little with no financial risk.

----------------

Paul,

Do you believe I actually bought that? Lady Liberty is on the cover. I'm sick!14.gif Maybe if it were the Watergate hearings or something but it ain't.