OK, I'll try anything once: Etta, live, @house of blues

Tom Mobley

edited once again, working now.

Here's a few Etta James tunes, live at House of Blues in LA. Lotso' horns and guitars. These are large files, 10, 12 and 14MBs. My first attempt at anything resembling this so go easy if it tanks. :) 256KB mp3, right click and save to desktop or wherever you them again, use WinAmp or similar to play.

come to mama.mp3

I'd rather go blind.mp3

your good thing is about to end.mp3

I pulled these off the CD as .wav's with Nero, used shareware "ease MP3 WAV Converter" on them, uploaded with Frontpage. Not too bad once you get the hang of it.

Tom

B000063Y2O.01._PE21_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This is the CD Tom is referencing. Good job with the process, Tom. The only thing I would have to add here is that this is Etta pretty late in her life and she is going through the motions a bit more. One might not know this unless hearing her EARLY recordings where she is just about burning the club down. The instrumentation is more inspired, the crowd in the club screaming, and Etta is doing the same, belting it out. It's a far different presentation than above. Tom, you should check some of these early live recordings out. They are in LP mostly.

IF you are an Etta James fan, check out this one below ETTA JAMES ROCKS THE HOUSE

This is on CD as well but the LP give it that classic sound - She takes no prisoners here and the crowd is right there with her - I dont listen to Etta too much, but this is one of my favorites for the club feel...

B000002O9D.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

kh

Yep, that's the CD alright. Yeah, you can hear a few places on this where she's coming off a little flat, like "Gawd, I'm tired of doing this..."

But overall, this little disc kicks pretty good. I've got it on a Rega into a Scott 222C into my DIY LaScala's, it pretty well rocks if I turn it up a little.

I'm now thinking about building some kind of stand for the gear, getting out the old turntable. Phoenix is sort behind the times as far as this kind of stuff goes, I'll bet the thrift shops are ripe for the picking.

Tom

I just plugged my Linn LP-12 into my HF-81 and messed with the grounding a bit and eliminated 98% of the hum. I dont think the phono of the HF-81 is its strong suit, but damn if it's not that bad in my office system. It has been a total hell-chore to get my two turntables back up after packing this stuff away for the hurricane. I missed the vinyl big time! I have the Progressive-Engineering table now back up in the main room hooked into the Cary.

Tom, I found that Etta James Rocks the House LP in a bin located in a backwoods PA town in the mountains. Amazingly enough, it looked unused. Check it out if you you want to hear the more raw side of ole Etta.

I usally pick the likes of Bessie Smith or Billie Holiday when going for the best integration of blues and jazz, but ole Etta can hold her own.

Again, good job with the transfer to MP3.

kh

ps- I now have the complete EICO HF-81 (50 pages) manual in .pdf form with schematic thanks to a kind soul who even SENT the CD! I'll get it online soon.

yeah, that manual is non-trivial. I've got a paper copy, it's pretty good but I wasn't looking forward to scanning it, especially since I discovered my nice HP scanner doesn't have any drivers for Win2K. I don't even have an NT box anymore, I was going to have to go and buy a scanner. Not a good thing in the current financial climate at the house.

I took a quick look at ebay for that album, none on now but one will show up.

I found my old Yammy tt while moving, looks like it's got some Stanton cart on it.

I've still got to build some kind of stand, right now the Scott and the Rega are sitting on a LaScala, there's issues if I really crank it up.

Tom