Building Home Theater - Speaker Placement

Robert Gervais

intend on building a new home theater from scratch and need advice on speaker placement. I have read numerous times that the speakers (outside of Khorns) need to be placed maybe as far as 1/3 of the way out into the room. Please correct me if I am wrong. If the speakers do need to be placed farther out into the room, would it be wise to build an accoustically transparent "false" wall with accoustic material and place the speakers behind this. I would cut out a window for my viewing screen and install the equipment behind this accoustic wall. My idea would be frame out a "false" wall with 2x4's and attach accoustically transparent material to this frame. Any ideas? Thanks

RG

The speaker placement is going to be dependent not only on the type of speakers you are using, but also on the room size & proportions, listening position, & the acoustic properties of the room.

Sheffield Lab has a test record that will help determine the best position once the room is built. Trying to predict any, or all of this in advance is pure fantasy, especially in rooms the size available in most domestic situations, and especially so, if the space is not a simple 6 sided parallel surface room. No offense, but youre sort of putting the horse before the cart. Give yourself some room to play with after its built.

http://www.sheffieldlab.com

2.gif