rf-3 or klf-10's for mains?

Shiplemw1

ok here's the deal, I've read and compared the specs of the above mentioned speakers and they are pretty close to each other. I was wondering if anyone could give me some opinions on their comparisions:

I'm gonna be using either speaker in a dorm for the next 3 years and it will need to last and be able to meet my everyday needs. I listen to 50% ht, 50% music and will need a speaker that can be loud and proud at a dorm party.

It will be used with a midlevel reciever maybe a yamaha amp if I want more power, receivers being denon 2801, outlaw 1050, yamaha uhhh..., onkyo 595, 696, 676, hk avr510, blah blah,

Can any one help me out, thanks a lot,

shipley

ship, ok, 1st they're both great speaks. never heard the 10s, but just figuring they're the lil bros of the 30s, but jmo & 1st thought is if u want accurate listening get the rf-3; loud & proud for a dorm party as I know it: klf no doubt.

be careful of the klf towers being real near a tube though.

best answer: do a true a/b comparison.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

I think cool Cool.gif Boa is on the right track... and I have owned both speakers... and am a Legend devotee. But, in this case, I would suggest the RF-3 for their versatility in smaller areas and their potential to function as ancillary speakers to a future expanded system. Live long and discover "R_7's"! handlebar.gif HornEd (Reliving the stuff of Legends everyday!)

------------------

"30 Something 6.1 Herd"

KLF 30 Mains

KLF 30 Mod Center

KLF 30 Mod Surrounds

KLF 30 Rear Effects

SB-2 Front Effects

Subs: KSW-15 + 3 KSW-12's

Speaker Support Systems:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65"

Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and more...

... UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

I have the klf 10's. If size really isn't important, and you want high sound levels I would go with the klf's, just keep them away from the wall or they'll sound boomy, I have mine about 3 feet out and they have very tight quick bass. When I demoed them both, the RF-3s sounded more on the bright side, and the 10s sounded warmer. I also think the klf's look better as they have oak veneer. If you don't mind ordering online, I would order the reciever from crazyeddie.com, I purchased mine from the site and got it a week later double boxed with air pouches in perfect condition (the box). I wouldn't recomend ordering speakers from there though, as I have heard bad things from people who bought speakers there. Too bad you don't live in fl. sound advice had them on sale for 550pr. (when i bought mine 3mos. ago)

Shiplemw1

I am a college student also. I live at home but I have a really small room (about 9 x 9). I have the RF-3 and they sound great. They are close to the TV and the wall and they don't cause interference or boomy sound. They do rock the house.

Also, the Legends are no longer being made so it may be hard to find.

Good Luck

Ben

I am sure whatever you go with, as long as they are Klipsch you will be happy!

I thought at first that I liked the RF 3's better then the KLF 10's when I a-b them. I think that overall the RF-3's would probably be more likely to please rather then the 10's. I did opt for the 10's over the rf 3's in the end and later I added a pair of KLF 30's.

The 10's will most certainly fatigue after some hard listening. They did me anyway but I do like it loud. I thought that the 10's could out CRANK the RF 3's but the rf 3's had more detail and imaging yet they were less dynamic and seemed to color the music just a tad "to me" were the 10's did not (probably due to their lack of imageing).

Again, I think the RF 3's would be most likely to please you when compared to the 10's. How about a pair of KLF 20's??? Those are sure to please but possibly hard to match the entire set as the line has been, or is being discontinued.

Good luck!