2.1 Vs 4.1 Speaker System

catsfelix

I enjoy my PM4.1's a lot, but be advised. Though there is much better bass, and more of it, the expirienced audiophile will detect port turbulence at high volumes.

Holy crap! It looks like Klipsch no longer offers the refurbs! Oh well, try to find the v2.400's or the PM4.1's on ebay if you really want them. I'd just go for the PM5.1-Ultra's!!

did't you read catsfelix's question? Whats the point of buying surround speaker for use in music? using the promedia 4.1 in music is a waste of money as the amp is not going to get the woofer to drive efficeiently due to the woofer being shared by the rear channel. By adding a SWS to the 2.1, the bass will be much more better than using a 4.1 in music listening. With the 8" driver of the SWS, it can handle lower frequency better then the 4.1's dual 6.5" driver. And btw no one bother whether what speaker you are getting..

ic... thx for the reply guys. so... which one is better? 2Sets of Promedia2.1 or 1 Promedia2.1 + Promedia SWS. 'coz im affraid adding 1 more sub will decrease the satellite's sound (izzit?!).

in terms of price, 1Promedia SWS is the same price as Promedia 2.1, rite? so which one shld i buy? thx

regarding whether the SWS is going to overpower the sats, it gonna depends on the kinda music you are listening to, the bass level of the SWS can be adjusted to your likely anytime, so it's not gonna have a problem. Like i said, the SWS is using a 8" driver, therefor it can handle lower frequency much better than the 6.5" woofer driver found in the PM2.1 and PM4.1. Getting two PM2.1 may improve in the quantity, but not the quality of the mid range. But in adding a SWS, it'll sure improve the bass respond in term of quality and quantity....em.. sweet.

Anyone with different point of views please speak up 2.gif

did't you read catsfelix's question? Whats the point of buying surround speaker for use in music? using the promedia 4.1 in music is a waste of money as the amp is not going to get the woofer to drive efficeiently due to the woofer being shared by the rear channel. By adding a SWS to the 2.1, the bass will be much more better than using a 4.1 in music listening. With the 8" driver of the SWS, it can handle lower frequency better then the 4.1's dual 6.5" driver. And btw no one bother whether what speaker you are getting..

Congrats! I'm actually going to justify your response with an answer!

First off, the PM4.1 is slightly improved over the 2.1. The bass reflex enclosure can hit lower than the 2.1's due to the added 6.5" driver. It hits about as low as the SWS, maybe a bit lower. Secondly, I use my PM4.1's in a differenty fashion than most. I have my rear satts at my sides and my fronts in front of me, which has an excellent stereo effect, much better than the fronts by themselves. The only downside to the PM4.1 is port turbulence expirienced by people who decide "I think I'll turn the sub up all the way to blow-my-eardrums-away volume today!".

to MD1032,

the way you speak is as though you are a pro, even if you wanna correct me, use a better manner. I use the PM4.1 for music as well and i place the rear sats high on the wall behind me, i do not like switching on all my sats when listening to music as they are creating some kinda unnessary echos. place your rear sats on the wall high up and you'll know. the way you are placing your rear sat you are not going to enjoy a proper surround sound. For me, my rear sats are only used in movies and game, other than that, it's often "shut-up". the dual 6.5" driver of the PM4.1 is only going to increase the volume of the bass, but can't go lower frequency than the 8" driver. The larger the woofer driver, the lower the frequency can be be hit. surround speakers are not ment to be uses for music, maybe for techno or dance. klipsch produced the PM4.1 with gamers in mind

----------------

On 10/9/2003 12:38:56 PM jackson_ngo wrote:

the dual 6.5" driver of the PM4.1 is only going to increase the volume of the bass, but can't go lower frequency than the 8" driver. The larger the woofer driver, the lower the frequency can be be hit.

Usually this is very true, however many factors come into this. Driver quality, space enclosure, turning freqeuency, etc. Example being the dual 6.5's on the PM 4.1's hits lower then the Z-560's 8" driver. The bigger port and higher turning frequency allows the Z-560's to be louder however.

----------------

On 10/8/2003 7:10:33 PM MD1032 wrote:

First off, the PM4.1 is slightly improved over the 2.1. The bass reflex enclosure can hit lower than the 2.1's due to the added 6.5" driver. It hits about as low as the SWS, maybe a bit lower. Secondly, I use my PM4.1's in a differenty fashion than most. I have my rear satts at my sides and my fronts in front of me, which has an excellent stereo effect, much better than the fronts by themselves. The only downside to the PM4.1 is port turbulence expirienced by people who decide "I think I'll turn the sub up all the way to blow-my-eardrums-away volume today!".

----------------

the SWS hits as hard if not slightly louder than the promedia 5.1 subwoofer, as illustrated by justin's tests. where did you hear the promedia 4.1 subwoofer hits as hard or low as the SWS? it's false to say the least.

as for the original poster, the choice between the PM2.1 times two combo against the PM2.1 plus SWS combo is a simple one. if you play any PC games, you'll want the promedia 2.1 times two combo. you never mentioned what kind of music you listen to but I assume you meant hip hop/rap when you said "big bass", and the promedia 2.1 times two combo will do just fine for all that mid bass boom boom, and you'll have surround sound capacity for PC games and DVD's. only downside would have to be that the rear satellites will be playing the music also, which can be a horrible solution depending on the soundcard you have. in any case, playing all the satellites is NOT how stereo recording should be listened to. it can negatively affect the soundstage and because of added reflections, the high frequencies will more prodominant(especially in a small room). this can be mistaken for added clarity as I did in my early years, but it is technically a form of distortion and should be avoided. to keep from playing the rear satellites but use the rear subwoofer with music, you'll have to disconnect the rear satellites every time you want to play music and connect when you want to play PC games in surround sound. yes, that would be annoying but I'd make the sacrafice to have surround sound in games and DVD's.

on the other hand, you can't go wrong with the promedia 2.1 plus SWS combo for MUSIC ONLY. the SWS is very potent even for what it is and will be louder all around and add the lower frequency extension the promedia 2.1 subwoofer simply can not produce. the obvious downside is the lack of surround sound capacity. DVD's should be fine even without the rear satellites and the setup would actually have better bass response as many action DVD's demand the lower frequencies, but again you'll want the rear satellites for PC games with surround sound. though, we are talking about the kind of action games where you want to be able to hear where your enemies are in three demension. some games do not need surrond sound and if you play those only, this setup will be perfect for you.

EDIT: as jackson said, you could have problems with echo as well if you have all 4 satellites playing but this depends on the soundcard you have and the placement of the satellites. some allow the user to delay certain channels to match the timing.

----------------

On 10/9/2003 7:09:35 PM GooseChaser wrote:

----------------

On 10/8/2003 7:10:33 PM MD1032 wrote:

----------------

the SWS hits as hard if not slightly louder than the promedia 5.1 subwoofer, as illustrated by justin's tests. where did you hear the promedia 4.1 subwoofer hits as hard or low as the SWS? it's false to say the least.

as for the original poster, the choice between the PM2.1 times two combo against the PM2.1 plus SWS combo is a simple one. if you play any PC games, you'll want the promedia 2.1 times two combo. you never mentioned what kind of music you listen to but I assume you meant hip hop/rap when you said "big bass", and the promedia 2.1 times two combo will do just fine for all that mid bass boom boom, and you'll have surround sound capacity for PC games and DVD's. only downside would have to be that the rear satellites will be playing the music also, which can be a horrible solution depending on the soundcard you have. in any case, playing all the satellites is NOT how stereo recording should be listened to. it can negatively affect the soundstage and because of added reflections, the high frequencies will more prodominant(especially in a small room). this can be mistaken for added clarity as I did in my early years, but it is technically a form of distortion and should be avoided. to keep from playing the rear satellites but use the rear subwoofer with music, you'll have to disconnect the rear satellites every time you want to play music and connect when you want to play PC games in surround sound. yes, that would be annoying but I'd make the sacrafice to have surround sound in games and DVD's.

on the other hand, you can't go wrong with the promedia 2.1 plus SWS combo for MUSIC ONLY. the SWS is very potent even for what it is and will be louder all around and add the lower frequency extension the promedia 2.1 subwoofer simply can not produce. the obvious downside is the lack of surround sound capacity. DVD's should be fine even without the rear satellites and the setup would actually have better bass response as many action DVD's demand the lower frequencies, but again you'll want the rear satellites for PC games with surround sound. though, we are talking about the kind of action games where you want to be able to hear where your enemies are in three demension. some games do not need surrond sound and if you play those only, this setup will be perfect for you.

EDIT: as jackson said, you could have problems with echo as well if you have all 4 satellites playing but this depends on the soundcard you have and the placement of the satellites. some allow the user to delay certain channels to match the timing.

----------------

As far as the twin 2.1 ProMedia's are concerned:

If you want to turn off the rear sattelites while listening to music all you have to do is turn down the volume on the control pod. With the 4.2 setup there are two control pods and if you follow Klipsch's DETAILED wiring instructions you'll have one control pod controlling the volume on the front sattelites and the other controlling the rear sattelites. There is no need to unplug the rear sattelites or anything.

----------------

On 10/9/2003 9:11:22 PM ChoppedBroccoli wrote:

As far as the twin 2.1 ProMedia's are concerned:

If you want to turn off the rear sattelites while listening to music all you have to do is turn down the volume on the control pod. With the 4.2 setup there are two control pods and if you follow Klipsch's DETAILED wiring instructions you'll have one control pod controlling the volume on the front sattelites and the other controlling the rear sattelites. There is no need to unplug the rear sattelites or anything.

----------------

he wants to play both subwoofers, so that won't work. he'll need to use a stereo extension so signals get sent to the rears and pull the plugs on the rear satellites.

• 2 weeks later...

to MD1032,

the way you speak is as though you are a pro, even if you wanna correct me, use a better manner. I use the PM4.1 for music as well and i place the rear sats high on the wall behind me, i do not like switching on all my sats when listening to music as they are creating some kinda unnessary echos. place your rear sats on the wall high up and you'll know. the way you are placing your rear sat you are not going to enjoy a proper surround sound. For me, my rear sats are only used in movies and game, other than that, it's often "shut-up". the dual 6.5" driver of the PM4.1 is only going to increase the volume of the bass, but can't go lower frequency than the 8" driver. The larger the woofer driver, the lower the frequency can be be hit. surround speakers are not ment to be uses for music, maybe for techno or dance. klipsch produced the PM4.1 with gamers in mind

1.gif I agree with jackson completey. They did invent the 4.1s with gamers in mind. And the bigger the speaker the lower the frequency is totally true hands down. One 8 inch woofer will drop lower than 2 6.5s hands down. Look at it this way sure u got 2 6.5s but just because u got two does not make the frequency of how they can go any better. There the exact same speaker so one can only go so low adding the exact same one u just got louder noise with the frequencys it can go. So i agree with jackson complety an 8inch sub will have lower frequency hands down. And to think about it a 6.5 is consider a mid not a subwoofer. The 8 inch is a subwoofer so there those extra inches on the speakers is gonna go a little lower than the 6.5s. In my opion though im just waiting for them to come out with 2 10 inch subs for the pc then it will be awsome!!!9.gif

I agree with jackson completey. They did invent the 4.1s with gamers in mind. And the bigger the speaker the lower the frequency is totally true hands down. One 8 inch woofer will drop lower than 2 6.5s hands down. Look at it this way sure u got 2 6.5s but just because u got two does not make the frequency of how they can go any better. There the exact same speaker so one can only go so low adding the exact same one u just got louder noise with the frequencys it can go. So i agree with jackson complety an 8inch sub will have lower frequency hands down. And to think about it a 6.5 is consider a mid not a subwoofer. The 8 inch is a subwoofer so there those extra inches on the speakers is gonna go a little lower than the 6.5s. In my opion though im just waiting for them to come out with 2 10 inch subs for the pc then it will be awsome!!!

Actually, they hit about the same because the dual 6.5's are in a tuned, BASS REFLEX enclosure (do your research and you'll understand).

Eh, I've not much to say. I like gaming, I like my 4.1's, do whatever you want.

And BTW, Logitech is a solid company, they just don't match up to Klipsch. (the 560's are really horrible compared to the PM4.1's, but alas, Klipsch no longer makes the PM4.1's and so 560 sales are up lol)