New 2003 Klipschorns - a six-month review

DTLongo

BB, There is no lack of bass in the Khorn if they are properly coupled into the corners. The 3db down point is 33hz and at 20hz they are still putting out 4db down from 30hz as measured on a RS meter. There is no lack of deep bass there. I think leok hit the nail on the head. The harshness of SS switching transients at low power is causing an exageration in the mid-frequencies. A 90db signal at 1 meter requires (in my room) @30 hz=1.18v;60=.580v;100=.259v;1k=.910v;5k=.719v. Not much over switching voltage, which generates odd order harmonics and brightness.

That is about one tenth of a watt at 1khz.(P=e.e/r).

On music at an average volume of 90 db (Niel Diamond singing) it is at .600v or .045 watt.

Rick

I am envious...

Source signal aside, it sounds like it may be an environmental issue that I am also struggling with. In the past, I have had Khorns flap my pantlegs with the bass output - so I know that the design is capable of rattling the china out of the kitchen cabinet without it requiring a the expected amount of electical power to do it. Since the bass bins mate with the room in such a unique way, the shape and makeup of the room is extremely important. The problem is with most listening areas, there are unalterable physics involved such as how far apart the corners are, the volume and absorbent quotient of the room, etc. One area to consider is the distances between the speakers (i.e., corners) and the back walls, ceiling and side walls. etc. If you unfortunately get a mathematical ratio of the wavelength being produced reflecting back onto itself and/or bouncing around it will tend to cancel itself out or produce "hotspots" due to modal excentricities. By walking around the room I am sure that you could find a few active modes. I would first try some unobtrusive room treatments first. I know that the design is capable of producing prodigious bass. The drawbacks to all of this is that most of us cannot divorce our decor from our listening space nor alter the dimensions thereof. However, I would hesitate to consider a subwoofer as a solution until I have ascertained that the problem could be not be otherwise more elegantly resolved.

DTLongo,

I agree with the previous comments as well.

Re: the glue on the grill cloth, did you talk to Klipsch ?

I received my 2002 Khorns two weeks before christmas last year, one tail board was

damaged in shipping. I received a replacement from Klipsch BEFORE Christmas !!

Nothing wrong with customer service like that