Cornwall 1 tweeters ( alk crossover)

One of the tweeters in my 1979 Cornwalls has been replaced. I changed it approx. 1987. I am interested in the ALK crossovers but I'm not sure if the current tweeter is compatable as there are no Klipsch markings on the back of it. It looks the same (square) as the other tweeter. Does the K79 appear different than the K77?? If I recall, I got it from EV and it's a t-35. Also has anyone ever just rebuilt the current B3 crossover using the Solen litz coils and better caps??I was thinking of that with the additional P-trap. Thoughts Thanks

This is Al's territory, but if you bought the tweeter from Klipsch, I would bet they sent you the -77 to match the network.

There may be a simple impedance test you can do on it if the resistance on the two tweeters is different ...

------------------

Denon AVR-3800

McIntosh MC-2105 (Fronts)

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Klipsch Cornwall I's (LF/RF)

Klipsch KT-LCR ©

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

One of the K77 tweeters in my LaScalas was sounding funny. I stupidly bought a K77M to replace it. Yuch! I bought a diaphragm that fits both the K77 and the K77M and my original horn sounds fine again. Maybe the K77M I bought has a broken diaphragm, too... (K-77-M for "Mud" or square magnet.)

Hi Guys,

The K77 tweeter IS an ElectroVoice T-35. There is noting wrong with the "M" version. A lot of people will tell you Alnico is wonderful, but remember, it's just a magnet! Fact is, the "M" was upgraded in addition to the magnet change. The "M" is the better tweeter. I have tested both.

The K79 has lower sensitivity then the K77. That is why it is not compatible with my Cornwall network design.

AL K.

The diaphram is more than the membrane used to move the air. There's a major part of the horn that gets replaced. I was worried that the baffle(?) change would affect the sound, but it didn't.

The neodymium magnet has allowed the size to get smaller again, I believe.

Pete, I think the magnet is neodymium iron boron, which puts it in the rare earth category (correct me if I'm wrong; my education's about 30 years old). Bose uses them (I know, I know) in their shrunk down LS series (tiny cubes) because they generate a very tight mag flux field.

So, yes, you're absolutely right about the downsize.

------------------

Denon AVR-3800

McIntosh MC-2105 (Fronts)

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Klipsch Cornwall I's (LF/RF)

Klipsch KT-LCR ©

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub