Kg4 Tweeter

Hi all, first timer here. Not sure what happened, didn't happen while I was listening to it, but have suddenly developed a lot of squeak/squaking out of left tweeter. (It's possible a three year old that knows how to turn the system on and run the volume knob had something to do with it.) I'm looking for advice on replacing it. Where to get the driver, Klipsch or aftermarket, expected cost, etc. If not O.E. Klipsch, I assume I would be wise to replace the good one also to keep matching drivers in both speakers? Or maybe not? Any input would be appreciated. Also, after reviewing my nick, what position would these be best at in a surround system? Or should I keep these as mains and get a "Surround In A Box" system? Building a new house next year, hope to wire it for while house audio, at least install the wiring before the sheet rock goes up and buy components as cash becomes available. Would I be better off just using these in the music room until I can afford better speakers? Sorry if this is fairly off the wall rambling.

(p.s.) Hopefully these speakers are still worthy of mention on this site, I do see a lot of talk of newer/higher end systems than what I am working with.

Welcome to the forum.

KG's are well respected and everyone is welcome in any case. No one is snobish. We only fight like cats and dogs from time to time. Smile.

You should call 1800KLIPSCH and ask about a replacement for the whole horn or better yet, just a new diaphragm.

Based on what I've seen about tweeter diaphragm replacement in other cases, it should be a fairly simple operation you can do for yourself. But I can't say for sure.

HT is a lively subject. Many people are using Heritage types (KG's are in the group) for surrounds in an all Heritage system. They might work very well depending on what you eventually buy for the mains. If you like them you might consider a few more KG for the front and add a Klipsch sub.

This could be a cost effective way to go. You'll certainly get better performance than surround in a box.

Best,

Gil

Thanks for the advice, Gil. By the time I got to the computer tonight, the Klipsch offices had already closed. I'll try them first thing in the morning though.

FYI... I got my first taste of Klipsch in (roughly) 1977/78, a friend of mine had a pair of K-Horns hooked up to some serious electronics, I don't remember much of it but do remember compander/expanders, a DBX unit, several amps and a whole slew of other things in a portable rack. He'd load up everything, INCLUDING the K-Horns, in a van and do DJ shows. He even had a generator and brought the system to a few outdoor high school parties, including "Senior Skip Day". The one thing I remember most was sitting in his parents living room, which is where he kept the K-Horns, listening to something fairly loud with his folks gone. I was on a sofa across the room from the open front door, and whenever a solid bass note hit, the door knocker on the door would bounce off it's stop maybe 1/4 inch. Incredible. I've only had the oppurtunity to hear K-Horns in a home enviornment twice in the last 25 years, but.... someday....

I keep buying lottery tickets.

2.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice on the HT positioning. At this point it makes sense, especially if they'll be doing double duty as mains for the 2 channel system also.

I got ahold of Klipsch on Monday, 10/20, ordered a new diagphram for $14 plus $5 shipping. He said they were approximatly 14-20 days behind on expected delivery times. Then he called me on Tuesday, said that it was being shipped that day! It arrived today, some basic instructions included, though I would like to think that since I've been fixing cars for the last 22 years to pay my bills, and currently own a 9 bay service center, I'll be mechanically inclined enough to figure this one out without too much trouble. Thanks again for the info, still reading old posts and buying lottery tickets.2.gif

Maybe some HT amps are weak in the surrounds. I can't say for all. There maybe an issue with some particularly driving speakers with a low impedance.

On the other hand, do we know for sure that Klipsch surrounds, or any given brand, do not have a relatively low impedance too?

Best,

Gil

Well, got the diaphram installed just fine and dandy over the weekend, nothing to it, however... Didn't make the noise go away. I did notice some wetness inside the slot the back ring of the diaphram sits into, also a little moisture on the lower half of the outside edge of the front of the magnet. I can only assume this is ferrofluid and that the driver itself is toast? Any ideas?

Unfortunatly, I did not have the winning lottery ticket in Minnesota. 8.gif

*Edit* Just got off the phone with Klipsch, he suggested just swapping the tweeter to the other speaker and see if the noise transfers along with it, if not, may have something odd happening in the X-over, though he thought that was unlikely.