"Classic" label records

dgb

I've got the Led Zeppelin catalog in 180/200 gram versions from Classic and also a few other groups. They really are nice sounding LP's plus the jackets and sleeves are reproduced like the original release, so you get original type art work and features. Check out Elusive Disc, they are a good company and run specials fairly regulary on their e-mail list. http://www.elusivedisc.com

You may also want to check out http://www.redtrumpet.com and http://www.amusicdirect.com/ for vinyl.

I have quite a few Classic Records reissues and for the most part have been very happy with them. While many people have strong opinions on reissues in general and Classic Records in particular, most of their products are among the best at what they are intended to be. Are they expensive? Depends on how you look at it. Used records can be a crapshoot at best. I've found some very cheap, mint appearing records that sounded like doo-doo no matter how much cleaning I attempted. I've also found some semi-beatup looking records that appeared as though they'd sound like something on a Victrola that ended up, after cleaning, sounding wonderful. My success rate runs about 60% bad, 20% ok, 15% good, to 5% excellent in buying used records through eBay, thrift stores, garage sales, swaps and the like. However, for classical style music the success rate can be far better.

I've also been at various audio functions (meetings, a/b tests, etc.) where some very serious, highly respected vinyl enthusiasts will listen "past" the pops, crackles and static on their prized original pressings and be in hog heaven. My listening acumen just hasn't got there yet. I prefer a quiet backround without the pops and clicks, if at all possible.

Bottom line IMHO is that Classic Records puts out some great stuff and you can often find some decent deals on their own and other's websites.

Chris

PS You might want to add http://www.acousticsounds.com to the great suggestions above.

I have several of the Classic jazz reissues--originally I bought a few of them to hear the stereo mix that was NEVER released originally (titles like Open Sesame, Lou Takes Off, Cliff Craft). I then started buying the "deep-groove" mono "replicas." These are really, really good quality--the closest you can get to an original pressing.

I guess I'm one of those guys who can live with some clicks and pops here and there--I really don't even notice them at all. I'm NOT talking about groove damage and rice-krispy surface noise--just the odd click and pop! I have yet to hear a reissue LP (or CD or SACD for that matter) that can match the dynamics of an original pressing and I think it has to do with source tapes--remeber when these Blue Notes were pressed the tapes were months, perhaps even weeks or DAYS old and now they are pushing FIFTY years old!!! Think about THAT!

Allan,

Once when I was over at Dan Mienwald's place, he really went out of his way to demonstrate the differences in pressings for the same record. For instance, he had I believe 8 different pressings of Kind Of Blue. They were played on 3 vastly different systems. One system was MEGA bucks. It had $40,000+ speakers, mutli-thousand dollar cabling, top of the line EAR amplification and an unbelievable TT that had 3 arms attached with very expensive carts. The second system was straight vintage with Marantz 8B (I believe) amps and similar components. And the third system was sort of mid fi. Honestly, while there were differences system to system and pressing to pressing, they ALL sounded wonderful. Including the reissues. I'm guessing it takes more listening experience and a better critical ear than I have to fully appreciate the very subtle nuances that experts like yourself easily discern.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

BTW, Dan was great. He spent way more time showing me things than I deserved. Being there was more or less what I'm guessing spinning vinyl with you might be like. HINT HINT The coolest part of the afternoon was when he played a couple of very old 78's of Hawaiian slack guitar music. While there was plenty of snap, crackle and pop, the sound behind it all was some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard! It was akin to looking at one of those computer generated pictures that you have to let your eyes completely relax to see the intended image. Something I've had little success with by the way.

Regards,

Chris

Hey Chris---you wanna come by some weekend afternoon and listen to some nice, old deep-groove Blue Notes, Prestiges and Contemporarys on my funky old hi-fi? Maybe some of the other SoCal based guys would like to do so as well. I think it would be fun--crack some beers and let it rip!

And maybe Kelly will fly out here from Carolina and join us!

Re-issues, including the 200 gram audiophile versions, are, IMHO, as much of a crap shoot as anything else.

I had been looking for the longest time for Al Green's Greatest hits album, which I have on CD and wanted on vinyl.

Finally I found it re-issued on the above format. What a disappointment, it sounds about the same as the CD, maybe not quite as good even!

Actually that is not quite fair - better in parts might be a fairer description.

On the other hand, I bought a living stereo reissue of Brahms Violin Concerto, which, is amongst the very best recordings I have.

Generically original rock and pop recordings appear to be better than any of the re-issues, Jazz is a mix, and classical recordings better in the re-issued format.

Its also interesting to note that some of the technologies that were put forward and then recinded can still sound absolutely fabulous. I have a Dynagroove mono recording of "Now is the time" by Sonny Rollins that plays perfectly and wonderfully. Dynagroove technology has since been declared a mistake.

Mistakes like that I can live with.