FS Type AA Balancing Networks--Upgraded to ALKs

tc535is

On Ebay...Upgraded to ALKs got from Q-Man. Now, I'm selling the AAs they replaced.

Two Type AA (not matched) balancing networks.

Pulled from La Scala SN 4N385 (circa 1975) and SN 7P216 (circa 1976).

These DO NOT MATCH! Components differ--same great Klipsch sound.

BOTH OPERATIONAL--some repairs have been made; I had to replace a faulty capacitor when I bought the La Scalas. Additionally, I reversed some modifications performed by a previous owner; returned to original configuration.

One network has oil-filled capacitors (non-PCB).

For reference go to www.klipsch.com and go to forum and search on AA

Estimate shipping weight of 14 lbs

Buyer pays shipping from Zip 22192

Phone me for questions. TC 703-589-7041

TC,

I don't mean to put you on the spot, but I know that some of the members would like to hear what you think of the difference in sound. That is if you can hear one. 2.gif

What about the other member who is keeping silent

about buying the other pair that I sold? I won't

say who you are since you havn't said anything about them.

AL,

We all know that you can hear a difference for the better with your networks. I was teasing him.

If I wasn't designing a network just for my Altec and JBL stuff I would have kept yours. I should rephrase that. John Warren's is now doing the designing. Johns AA works really nice with my mod, but when I wanted to lower the crossover to 300 Hz he began thinking that something isn't right. Today I sent him a 290 driver and I'm going to send him a 311-90 horn. He has the JBL tweeters. He is going to put all his new test equipment to good use and tweak the network some more. I would explain this in more detail, but I have to go pick up my son from school.

Later, Q.

OK Gary - I'll fess up. I bought your ALK xovers but haven't put them in yet. I didn't realize that they were older versions and now I have to figure out how to modify them to accept bi-wires so I can compare them with the pair of Type As I'm building which will be bi-wireable. I've been busy with other fun chores recently so I haven't really gone to much trouble. I haven't even asked Al K for advise so I've really dropped the ball in that respect (are you listening Al?). You know how it goes - I was thinking that I could simply plug and play but its never that easy.

To complicate matters, I'm listening to a couple of amps and a preamp that have fallen in my lap recently. I bought a Rogue 88 a couple of weeks ago and then a friend essentially gave me a 6C33c amp and the matching preamp which I have been enjoying quite a bit. I didn't want to make any wholesale changes to the Khorns until I had heard the new gear so I wouldn't get the wrong impression or worse, confused. I have a few questions and comments about these amps and may actually start a new thread - I think that would be a first for me.

I'll get it together soon and stop playing around for fun and start playing around for real! When I do set things up, I promise to send a full report back to the forum - OK?.

-Bryan

Well its hard for me to A-B my home built ALKs to my AAs.....but now that i had mine in for a few days and listened to wide range of music....i do think they are better.....the TOM TOMS on Hotel Calif. by the Eagles sounds much clearer,defined....im sure the two crossovers are real close but you gotta love the design and work AL put into these....thanks AL for putting up directions to make these i had fun making them.....rick9.gif

Al,

"I don't think I loose a thing by making the design public. "

It is definitely cool of you to put them out there for the DIYers. I just swapped K55Vs for Altec 902-8Bs on the 511Bs and with my DIY ALKs it was pretty much plug and play after adjusting the taps. I had them at 4-x with the K55Vs. I measured the k55v output with a 1khz test tone then put the 902-8Bs in their place. With the 8 ohm Altecs a setting of 0-2 was within about a 1/2dB of the same output level on the test tone.

I then pumped pink noise into the crossover/speaker and attached the squakers output to my RTA to verify the crossover looked the same.

The crossover makes it almost to easy to experiment.

Of course with the Altec drivers I'm curious what they would sound like without the lowpass and no tweeter.

Shawn

Shawn,

When I first started modifying my Belles, I had an extreme slope crossover at 700 Hz from the woofer to an Altec 511B and JBL 2426h driver running two-way. If sounded dull! The combination simply didn't go up high enough to spite the specification sheet on the driver which claimed response to 15 KHz! You definitely need the tweeter in a three-way system. Even EQing the driver all the way up didn't work well. The dispersion of the 511 (and 811) just wasn't good up high.

Al K.

I can definitely hear the difference in sound. I couldn't sleep, so I installed them at 0300, that's 3:00am for you civilians 2.gif They sound less shrilly, and I like the selectable settings of the squawker--I'm still playing around with what suits me. I'm no audiophile, but I feel the ALKs smooth things out.

BTW, did I mention how nice looking they are? Quality + workmanship abound--shout out to Al K!

PS the AAs on Ebay are SOLD

TC,

I think the ones you have were made before I added the number 4 plug. You might want to try X-4. That's what I am setting them at now when I make them. If Qman gave you the paperwork with them, the settings are not right on it. Download the new instructions from my web site. They will also give you information on using the number 4 transformer tap also.

Al K.