Need some advice restoring an Eico HF-81

trvale

Hi - I just won an Eico HF-81 on eBay that looks like it need a good amount of work. The seller mentions that the EL-84's that are included are three original Eico's and 1 Sylvania. I would like to replace those with a matched Quad. I wish I could get some Mullards or Telefunkens, but I have a limited budget at least for now. So while browsing through eBay, I found 2 sets of matched pair Golden Dragon EL-84's. The seller says that these were made by Mullard in a chinese factory. Does that mean that they will sound like Mullards? Or is that just wishful thinking? If not are there any decent current production El-84's? I am also thinking about Electro-Harmonix, or Ei Elite. Thanks for any ideas.

Here is what I would do. Pickup a set of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3054590865&category=14973 for now they work and sound fine. Then have your 3 mullards tested to see if there any good and any where near matched. If they are start picking up some mullards 1 or 2 at a time on eBay until you end up with at least some nicely matched pairs. The HF-81 only really requires matched pairs to be safely run. But matched quads will give you the best balance. If you end up with 8 mullards you will at least get 3 matched pairs if your careful who you buy from on ebay. The Chinese tube are not Mullards that is a scam !!

Have you plugged the amp in and used it yet ? How does she sound ? I would take the bottom cover off and inspect for wax on the bottom cover or on the capacitor themselves. Wax seeping out and dripping on the bottom cover is a good sign of excessive heat. Out of all the Vintage amps the HF81 is sometimes safe to run in its stock form not much in there to cause serious damage if it fails they seem to be pretty tough to kill. But running them out of spec can stress the power transformer and end up with it vibrating forever more unless sent in for repair.

Craig

Thanks everyone for the replys. I have not received it yet, so I do not know much about it. I should receive it on friday. I got an email from Mobile Homeless saying that it is a good idea to wait until I get it before I hastily start buying tubes, which sounds like a good idea. I have been hanging around here long enough to here of all the great stories about NOSValves' abilities to make amps sound the best they possibly can. But one of the main reasons I bought this was because it needed work. I like projects like this. I by no means am very experienced at restoring an amp, but I am going to give it a shot. If I am not successful, I know I can always send it NOSValves. Mobile Homeless has already offered to help me via email, and I hope I can pick NOSValves brain as well. Thanks again.