Advice for speakers

dgb

Now that I look at the design, the KG-4 does look good. An RF-5 with passive radiator bass.

Difference between Chorus-II and RF-7:

Chorus-II has a better top to bottom acoustic power match between drivers. Piano and cello have better punch.

Rf-7 goes lower

Rf-7 high end can be cleaner due to no crossover to a tweeter. You're familiar with this with your KG-4.

RF-7 is a 2-way and sounds like one

Chorus-II is a 3-way and sounds like one.

I like both. I tend to listen more on the Chorus-II because of the flatter response, but RF-7 can be just right when the high end gets cluttered, like with big pipe organs and plenty of mixture stops blasting.

leok

PAR69, the KG4s do indeed rock. But I always remember hearing the Chorus at the same time I bought the KG4s and wishing I had $700 or $800 dollars more. :) If I had a credit card at that point, they'd have been mine! As it was I was scraping coins out from under my seats as I had forgot about having to pay sales tax. That was a little embarrasing. The Chorus were like live music in the room. The KG4s were close, but not quite as alive. But the KG4s kicked the butts of speakers 2x and 3x more expensive IMO.

Leok, thanks for the comparison. Sounds like it's a matter of taste (isn;t it always). I probably will go with a three way. The midrange is the weakest part of the KG4 IMO. It's not really bad quality, it just seems to get a little lost in the mix.

So far the replies seem to indicate the Heritage style speakers still rule the roost? Fair assesment?

I was brainstorming last night, and I may beable to talk the wife into a home theatre set up with Khorns, as they would work great in the room our big-screen TV is in. The big problems are

1. How the hell do you get Khorns in a basement? They *may* fit through the sliding glass door, maybe.

2. I have to keep a second stereo set up for recording and for the computer. I don't want 12 peices of equipment in my TV room, and I want to beable to record direct to the computer which is in a different room.

3. Have to buy a new amp/pre-amp. The wife would NEVER tolerate a home stereo without a remote for the volume. 4. I will probably have to swear to never buy another peiece of stereo equipment again. :)