dual subs

jzoz01

The LFE channel has distinct bass information which is NOT carried by the front channels UNLESS you send LFE to the mains (either "BOTH" or "MAIN" LFE setting on Yamaha receivers, probably the same for other receivers...).

So you want to use your LFE to keep things simple...after all you may not want to send LFE to your mains unless they can handle it (few can).

----------------

On 10/22/2003 3:32:54 PM jzoz01 wrote:

my thought was to set the fronts to "large" and use the crossover in the sub to filter out the lows to the fronts. My denon doesn't have a varriable crossover point so it would allow me a little more flexibility.
----------------

Setting the fronts to large is fine, but using the crossover in the sub is not going to filter out lows to the mains. It will filter low to the subs.

The most important thing to realize here is that your LFE is a completely SEPARATE bass channel which contains completely DIFFERENT bass "information". With the configuration you're contemplating, unless you send LFE to your mains, you will miss ALL your LFE. Not a good idea...5.ZERO instead of 5.1!

Nothing wrong with sending LFE to your mains whichever way you decide to do it, but it would be much simpler to use your LFE for your sub and use your bass management to send LFE to your mains or not.

Don't see any advantage whatsoever to making an "end-run" around your bass management system. In fact, you're going to lose some control because if you want your sub to pick up any LFE at all, you are going to HAVE to send LFE to your mains, which is not necessarily a good thing. It might be, but not necessarily. Depending on a lot of factors, you MIGHT get better sound by letting your sub handle all the LFE.

That being said, I run all my speakers LARGE and feed LFE to the mains also, but I may let my Denali handle all the LFE depending on how my sub EQ happens to go (in the near future).

So, in summary, use your LFE for your subwoofer, as running it off a mains pre-out is going to limit your control over your bass...

10.gif

Sorry I missed that. But I have what may be even a better idea (even if non-cinventional). If you have a center pre-out, use your extra sub for the CENTER channel. Run it LARGE. I hooked up my KSW-15 to a center pre-out (to complement a KLF-C7 and jbl s-centerII alreaduy on center) and was amazed at how it filled in the front sound stage! More like a wall of sound now.

People have no idea what they're missing by using a SMALL center setting.

I suppose if you havre no center pre-out you could run the center speaker wires to the sub and use the high pass speaker connects on the sub for your regular center speaker...

There is no advantage in running one subwoofer off of LFE and one off of the front channel. Quite to the contrary.

Use a "Y" splitter out of your LFE and run a cable to each subwoofer. When I first ran two subs, SVS suggested that splitting the LFE with a "Y" of the Radio Shack Gold series variety would do just fine, and I have never had any problems. Splitting the same signal also makes it easier to adjust phase and correct any cancellation problems if you put the subwoofers in different parts of the room (rather than the preferred "together" configuration). As soon as my PB2-ISD arrives, I plan on again running two subs from the LFE, from my Radio Shack Gold series "Y", into my better cables.

Upstairs-

Harmon Kardon AVR 525

Mains: Klipsch RF3II

Center: Klipsch RC35

Surrounds: Klipsch RS35

Rear: Klipsch KLF-C7

SVS 20-39PCi

SVS PB2-ISD (on order) 10.gif

Downstairs-

Yamaha RX-V1300

Mains, Center: Onkyo SKS-HT500

Surrounds: Axiom QS-8