What is the difference between the scott 299a,b,d etc...

Vital

Go to www.hhscott.com and do some research, how much output are you looking for, what output tubes and or input splitter tubes are you looking for as far as performance relative to cost? What speakers are you driving? There are lots of variables that are better answered by others far more familiar than me.

Thanks for the link. I guess the 299d is the biggest of the 299 series watt wise. I am driving RF-7s. I live in an apartment right now and instead of putting my money into the surround speakers and center speaker right now (I don't have room for surrounds unless I mount them on the ceiling) I have decided to take my two channel to the next level which is tubes. I want the best sound possible out of my RF-7s while spending a small amount of money. I would like to spend under $500 for a nice amp or pre-amp, whatever will be best for my system at this point.

Rf-7s do not need the power output of the C-D amps, there output tubes are EXPENSIVE! The A-B 299s have only 1/2 the output but are more than enough to power the RF-7s and thier output tubes are significantly cheaper than the 7591 of the C D

models!

Vital,

Bk has giving some good advise. You don't really need the power of the 299D but you may like having it at times ! The tubes are more expensive especially in NOS. In current production there is one company making 7591's and they cost about $75 for a quad. The are physically to tall to have a case on the amp but electrically they work and sound great.

Craig