Y cable or no Y cable for connecting my sub?

purdue2k2

I'm wondering if there is any advantage or disadvantage to using a Y contector from my receiver to my Sunfire Signature. I have a single LFE out on my HK AVR520. My audio cable is an Audiosource Copperhead with a single connect on one end and a Y on the other. Should I return the cable and go with a single point on each end or does it matter? Thanks in advance for the help.

Depending on how the sub is internally wired, it may play slightly louder at a given "level" setting BUT it doesn't make any difference as the sub is capable of reaching it's maximum output with just a single input.

The only net difference would be readjusting the "level" knob on you sub...

2.gif

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

In most every case, using a Y adaptor will raise the output (for a given setting on the sub volume control) 6 dB. Of course, this is not "free power" it is the same as turning the sub's volume control up that same amount. We have found that many amps built today have very low output voltage and that in many cases, even turning the sub volume control all the way up will not get maximum power from the sub. Adding the Y adaptor will help in this case. As always, beware of overdriving your sub. Clipping at low frequencies is not always audible, but is still bad for the equipment.

The cable has one jack on the receiver end and 2 on the other. It's no different than running a Y splitter on the sub end. I can use one of the plugs and cap the other, or I can run the other into the right input on the Sunfire.

I good with the replies that I have received. I've had both jacks connected since this post. I don't notice much difference really. Thanks for the replies.