Your opinion artto (or anyone else) if you don't mind

Tom Adams

I intend for my rear Heresy surrounds for my HT to be placed on speaker stands that will put them at the same height as my side surrounds. Additionally, these rears will be placed in the rear corners of the room. Just searching around, I came across these stands and was curious if you felt they would indeed provide any "bass trapping". I realize this may be an unfair question to ask based upon a photo alone. Be that as it may....go to:

www.stereocilia.com

and click on the SBT series.

TIA. 1.gif

Tom

Tom, I don't really know how well they would work. The term 'bass trap' seems to be increasingly used very loosely. What concerns me most about many of the devices showing up on the market, either for purchase, or as DIY projects, is that it seems no one has done any performance testing on these devices. Therefore, we really don't know how effective they are at absorbing anything, at what frequencies, or how much reflection occurs, and at what frequencies. Personally, I'd be leary of any so-called 'bass trap' that operates on some sort of resonance principal. And, as I've said before, the key to all of this is not just 'bass trapping' (which is usually an oxymoron). It has to do with BROADBAND absorption AND diffusion, where the widest range of frequencies are absorbed & diffused equally (at least thats the goal).

I hate to sound like an Auralex salesman, but I'd be willing to bet that a stack of 1 or 2 Auralex MegaLENRD's in each rear corner, with a shelf built above it to hold the Heresys would outperform those Stereocillia stands with ease. I would build the self so there is at least 6" of space above the MegaLENRD so that the top surface can also be exposed to absorption (you might want to do the same thing at the floor, raise the LENRDs off the floor). You can order MegaLENRDs in pairs from Guitar Center for $199. They look just like the regular LENRDs, only twice as wide & deep in 2' sections. The MegaLENRD's may also be sturdy enough to just put the Heresy's on top of them although you'll probably get some settling (sinking) over time.

Thanks artto (and m00n). You basically stated what my gut was telling me. I mean, it seems to me that it would be obviously impossible to build a "one size fits all" trapping/diffuser product since, from what little I know, they seem to be very room dependant.

However....you have to admit that to the unknowing/uneducated they could be a "WOW factor" thing - right? 1.gif

"....and over here are my combination speaker stands bass traps." 6.gif

Tom