Need Advice.... Best All Around HDTV???

LoLo

Dollar for dollar I am impressed with the Hitachi 57s500 I got when I took a Samsung DLP back. I wasn't really impressed with the DLP for almost four grand. Black was grey, too many artifacts and the flashing continued in my eyes as I tried to go to sleep. The technology has promise but, I feel, is not "there" yet. Don't go overboard at this time, the format is going to change in just a couple of years and whatever you buy now will be obsolete then. Those are just my thoughts I am sure that others will have more sugestions.

Rick

I tend to agree. The DLPs are nice, but far from perfect, especially for the price. Unless you can afford Mitsu's new 3 chip LCOS set, I'd just stick with a good old CRT RPTV. A good RPTV will give you by far the best picture for movies. I recomend the Mitsu diamond or the Pioneer Elite.

Mits Diamond and Pioneer Elite are probably the best CRT RPTV's with the Pioneer being the better of the two IMO. I agree that Hitachi is a good bang for the buck but it is also one of the better RPTV's out of the box. I have to disagree with the DLP opinion and at the same time wonder if either of these two took the time to calibrate a Samsung. IMO the Sammy compares favorably to the Pioneer and the only big difference being the Elite is closer to true black but I would hardly say the Sammy is grey. Maybe in torch mode. The big advantage with DLP over LCD is the better blacks produced by DLP. Even The latest LCD Grand Wega's do a pretty good job with black compared to previous models. Yes these sets will not produce true black but burn in is not a problem either as it is with a CRT RPTV. Combined with user replaceable lamps and the ability to function as a large PC monitor I don't see why anyone would spend big coin on an ever depreciating CRT RPTV. If you want some real advice on TV's go ask a few questions at avsforum.com. One thing I would recommend is to view the sets with your own eyes because some people do have issues with DLP but make sure you bring a calibration disk with you or there will be know way to determine the best PQ. Now to answer your question I would have to say the best all around HDTV IMO is a HTPC fed projector. Size and PQ just cant be disputed.