forte II woofer problem

markografx

Hey guys-

I got the passive fixed just fine, thanks to all who gave their suggestions!

The only problem is that the passive was the least of my problems. Now that it is fixed, I can hear more clearly the main

offender, and it is the woofer. Low frequencies cause a scratching, interference type noise. It sounds like

the noise is comming from directly behind the center cover of the speaker cone.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again for the past help, and thanks in advance for this one!

Mark Pedersen

I had a Forte II woofer exhibit similar behavior after playing the opening scene of the Mulholland Drive DVD. It shook something loose under the dust cap. After removing the speaker, and shaking the speaker with the cone towards the floor, I could clearly hear something bouncing around against the dust cap. I removed the dust cap, shook, but never actually found the culprit. I replaced the dust cap and it now works fine.

On the other hand, I have a Quartet woofer that has a similar audio problem, but I could not hear anything moving around upon shaking. I assume this speaker has a damaged (rubbing/shifted) voice coil and needs to be rebuilt (but I just replaced)

Before doing anything, please remove the driver and do the 'shake' test that I previously described. If you are convinced that you can hear something shaking around, you are going to have to buy a new dust cap (4", I THINK - But don't take my word on this, MEASURE IT - $2 or $3 dollars) - shipping will probably be more than the cost of the part. Use a NEW X-acto blade/knife and cut off the old cap leaving about a 1/4" around the perimeter to glue the new dust cap to. Shake out the debris (and tell me what YOU found!!). I used a white glue to reattach. Others MAY be able to provide better directions, but this worked for me. Good Luck.

jerohm-

Taking the woofer out and shaking it resolved the question of what was making the noise. The hole that extends through the magnet has a "filter" on the opening behind the dust cap. It is held in place with some adhesive that apparently ages and gets hard and not so adhesive. This fiber mesh screen and surrounding hardened adhesive is what was rattling around in there. The adhesive is so brittle it has the consistency of hard plastic, and some of the pieces broke off of the main mass and got caught in the void between the voice coil and the magnet. The whole mass of filter and hardened adhesive would not come out through the hole, so I carefully cut the dust cover off and removed the filter and hardened adhesive. Shaking the remaining tiny pieces out and replacing the woofer completely eliminated the noise, and now my forte II's sound just as good as ever.

Thanks to you, jerohm, and to all of the others for their helpful posts!

mark