multiple subs. problem?

dtximages

Ed, don't take that suggestion toooo seriously, I only suggested it because a)the specs look quite impressive in terms of raw air-moving, B) "Dr. Boom" reviewed it in a special issue about subwoofers, c) you seem quite willing and able to go over the top, and d) I was trying to make you post a little more of that fine humour (I'm still holding my belly from the ducks analogy)...

The sub is innovative, but it would certainly be more adapted to professional use, i.e. discotheques and movie theaters. And in that realm, it's not necessarily the king...

Oh, and by the way, I only wish we had one in our showroom!

------------------

'cuz not a lot of people have ever said

"Pump up the treble!"

The contra is a monster...but I'm not sure what they go for these days? Last I heard...it was $3000 passive.

I'm not exactly sure how the CS_U will stack up to the contra...a pair of the CS_U might be very close down to the 18-20hz range...and four would best it I believe.

There's not many commercial woofer-guys that want to compare their products to the contra though. It's like sitting in a blown rat powered chevelle on the gas...and you have a stretched liter bike roll up next to you at a light, and you think...

"why me"

As you engage the line lock...

TV

Tom, make sure to put "wings" on HornEd's order...lol Maybe we will start getting some of his early thoughts by next week.Smile.gif And maybe not too much longer he will be able to compare the new Klipsch subs as well.

I think we are in for some very interesting reading in the not so distant future.

tv, out of curiosity, do you know of any pro sub that would beat the contra?

i'm guessing one would have to look in the pro circuit to find anything to match and/or beat it...

except of course for an multiple svs array.

anyways, the bass is supposed to be strong, but not all tyhat precise. not a sub for the audiophile or weak of heart!

------------------

'cuz not a lot of people have ever said

"Pump up the treble!"

After your post, Seb, I did some searching and found the contra to be more interesting as a volume air mover in a big area rather than a precision air mover for a small (HT sized) area. That is if my relatively unbiased stage musician sources are correct. So, if I ever feel the need for an HA (Home Amphitheater) instead of this little HT, I am going to dash right out and pick one up... all because of you, Seb.cwm25.gif HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-06-2001 at 01:34 PM

Seriously, Seb, your post to re-acquaint me with the CountraBass gave me pause for thought. It had slipped my mind, but the first brush with ServoDrive technology came from some I did some time ago into containing great sound in a small area as to not upset neighbors. It seems the U.S. Navy used some of their speakers to cancel out noisy air conditioner compressors in an effort to make the subs more "silent running" in stealth situations. I have met with limited success in the notion of containing intense sound within a "sonic envelope" by strategic use of smaller subwoofers to limit "neighbor rattling" frequencies beyond the HT room. It seems that the "good life" in a heavily populated area is a series of trade-offs... which I should probably re-explore upon receiving the Twin SVS CS-Ultra and companion Samson 1000 watt amp. Actually, using the two tube CS-Ultra the way I intend should produce stats quite close to those of the Contra.

For what ever its worth, my original thought was to build an HT room in a basement level of a new home that I was contemplating before being interrupted by my parents' health problems. I was toying with the idea of creating a sonic buffer by building an HT room within a slightly larger room and filling that space with noise canceling air movement based on data from the receiver's sub out. My hope was that I could get an intent sound experience within and maintain a serene household without. Somehow, it seems that some of the wave-cancelling techniques should be available in a more cost-effective format.

Maybe I just have too much time and resources... and should go back to working for a living. cwm32.gif HornEd