THE EAR ,Revel Sub

Q-Man

Q-Man,

I am sure you noticed that this is a passive sub, so you'll have to add the extra costs for an amp and crossover.

I think for that sum I'd get myself an SVS. Yes, I got myself a PB2-ISD - and this baby really rocks. I think it matches very nicely with the Khorns and has more than enough low end output for my (granted) music only set-up. Compared to this sub, the REL was a mere toy - for my circumstances (flat dweller9.gif ) this is definitely enough sub. At last bass drums and pipe organs sound quite real (provided the recording is good - and with this sub you notice that many are not - simply not enough output down low!).

So I don't hesitate for a moment recommending a PB2.

BTW: not long ago I had the chance to listen to a Revel B15. Now listening to the same CD I don't notice ANY inferiority of the SVS - and I am really trying all my best to remain objective!

Wolfram

Hello Wolfram,

It's great to hear from you, and that your happy with your SVS. I was feeling real bad about not selling you my Sunfire Signature when you wanted it. As you can guess I'm still not finished with my modified Klipschorn Altec tops. I'm getting real close thanks to John Warrens help, so I'm starting to turn my attention to subwoofers again. The Ear makes his Revel B15 sound nice, and after reading the ebay ad on how this revel is better then the B-15 got me thinking about it.

Q-Man,

no pob. about the Sunfire - remember: at the time I contacted you I was not ready to purchase!

Anyway, I am sure the B15 is a fine beast (and depending on finish it looks terrific, too), but considering its price, I'd certainly turn somewhere else (LOL) and if the inbuilt eq is an issue, why not consider a Behringer Feedback destoyer or their Ultracurve? This might actually be something I should try in future.

Wolfram

Hey Wolfram,

You just revealed my real name to everyone6.gif .

I would like to hear more about your opinions of the PB2-ISD. with your Klipschorns.

I kind of have it narrowed down to these.

SVS; B-4 Plus, or the PB2-Ultra.

I want to go listen to the Martin Logan Desent(sp?)I've been told that this Servo is tops in clarity, but I don't know if it has enought output down low.

Q-man,

The Revel B15 can match the PB2-ISD no problem in output and I would not be surprised if it can outperform it.

Thye B15 uses a very long throw 15" woofer with a 2" linear travel,1000W RMS amp with a parametric EQ and you can dowload software to really fine tune the B15.Its clearly better then your SVS unless you compare to upscale Ultra and B4 class SVS, with the Rane EQ.

The Revel this seller sells is part of a higher end line,yes the woofer is even more potent.But it needs a very powerful amp with an EQ to really perform.At $1400 its a good buy if its in perfect condition both cosmetic and mechanical.

But you still need the amp and EQ.

You better wait for the SVS PB2-Ultra and at $2000 you will get the whole package.

Q-Man,

sorry about the mishap, but in other section of this forum this seems to be no real issue.

Concerning my (still limited) experiences I started a thread in the 2 channel section.

The Ear,

I wouldn't doubt that the B15 is a fine sub and can outperform the SVS, but I still think that considering the price difference the PB2-ISD IS a a splendid unit. And remember I am not talking about the more typical HT usage covered in this section of the forum (where I understand subs tend to be used hotter than in 2 channel music only combos), but about adding those extra hz down low which even speakers like the Khorns cannot reproduce on their own but which ARE quite vital in creating a truer 'copy' of the original sound.

Wolfram

FYI the B15 goes as low as any fanatic would like,with power and BIG EFORTLESS POWER.The B15 has slam of two Sunfire Signature subs down low plus it extends even lower!Its a BASS O FREAK O MATIC machine 9.gif

I am listening to some techno,and wow the B15 has some vicious punch oh so satisfactory and grandiose. 1.gif

Wolfram,

It's no big deal about you using my real name. I was just teasing you. As a matter of fact it served to tip me off that we have communicated elcewhere besides this Forum.

The Ear,

Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll wait for the PB2-Ultra. That way if I feel that I need more I'll have 30 days to trade up to the B-4.

Thanks for taking the time to look at it. He also said that he has two B-15s, maybe I'll ask him what he wants for them.

Q-Man,

If you have to have ONE sub,one sub that owns them all the choices are few,I say go the B4-Plus route and if this does not do it get the Acoustics Visions EVEREST/Krown K2 amp/Rane EQ.

There you will have to submit to the dual Tumults and quad 18" PR's.

But knowing what SPL one B4-Plus can bring when useing a powerhouse amp you should be fine,I would get a 2000W RMS amp at least to power the B4-Plus then you will be able if you wish to do so push the B4-Plus and your eardrums to near breakup.1.gif

To let you know, he answered my email. He has one B-15

left and he wants $1800.00 for it.

The Ear,

I agree with you, I probably should get the B-4 Plus for my end all sub search. Now I'll think about it again and ask Tom a few questions. I have to see if I get cheap and go for the PB2-Ultra.