What 's wrong with the RC-7....

USparc

I put the specs of RC-3 and RC-7 together.

WOW, some changes here, but what is that with the HIGH FREQUENCY CROSSOVER: 550Hz and 1950Hz????

A little up in the spec they mention that it is a two-way system. So I would expect just one crossover freq.

------------------

-------------------------

Receiver: Onkyo 676

DVD: Pioneer DV-525

Screen: Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RF-3's

Center: RC-3

USparc:

The RC-3 and RC-7 are both "Tapered Array" speakers where one woofer (of the two) cuts off at a given frequency in order not to interfere with the other, creating a smoother response. The 550 Hz frequency shown for the RC-7 specs is that frequency of cut-off. The RC-3 does not show it's cut-off frequency. Sorry for the confusion...I'll put in a word to get the change in.....

Thanks PhilH.

I was going to ask if it is also the case for all reference speakers as they have also two woofers, but than I looked up Tapered Array:

From Polk Audio:

When two drivers are placed side by side, as they often are in center channel speakers, interference effects between the two drivers in the upper-midrange narrow the horizontal dispersion and create frequency response errors (called "comb filtering") for off-axis listeners. People sitting off to the side of the room won't hear the same clarity as on-axis listeners.

To solve this problem, Polk center channel speakers use "Cascade Tapered Array" crossovers. One driver is crossed over much lower in frequency and is in essence a bass-only driver. Only one driver plays the upper midrange frequency range thereby eliminating the interference effects between the two drivers.

The result is clean, clear and intelligible dialog and center channel effects for every listener in the room.

So just for centerspeakers.Indeed, I put my ear to each of the woofers in my RC-3. The left one is cut-off, right. Smile.gif It than occured to me to see what 's on the technology feature page of the RC-3:

Tapered Array: Klipsch's version of 2.5-way crossover technology, called Tapered Array, is a crossover network design that provides improved imaging and midrange clarity. With tapered-array, two woofers work together in the lower frequencies with one driver transitioning out as sound enters the mid-range frequencies. This greatly enhances the off-axis intelligibility creating a wide soundstage that is consistent across your room.

Ok, now I can follow. A 2.5 way. I can live with that one Smile.gif

------------------

-------------------------

Receiver: Onkyo 676

DVD: Pioneer DV-525

Screen: Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RF-3's

Center: RC-3