SVS vs Klipsch

t-man

Here's the deal...My Dad wants a 5.1 HT setup after listening to my system. He's rather frugal, but wants the same sound and slam that I have. Prob is (other than frugal) is that his room is 5 times bigger than mine, so he will need a bigger sub than my KSW12.

I was thinking about going with SVS. $400 is pretty cheap, considering I can hook up the CS line with an existing AMP that I have laying around not in use. It's an old Kenwood Stereo reciever 125x2. Sounds like a good idea to me. Anybody out there using the 25-31CS? Will it really kick the crap out of the KSW line, including the KSW-15?

I don't think he can afford the new Ref subs I've been hearing about. Any opinions?

Also, may be considering RB-5s or RF3s for the mains. Wasn't too impressed at the showroom with these, though. My KG 5.5s seem to be much better.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LD Player

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

t-man,

I can't spew the specifics about the 25-31's but I do know that they are tuned to 25hz (the "25" in the "25-31"). Your best bet would be to get a hold of Tom at SV Subwoofers (svsubwoofers.com). He is one of the partners. He is going to ask you about your room size, listening preferences (what does your Dad listen to and how loud), and such. He will be very straight with you, If a KSW15 can outperform a 25-31, he will let you know, I rather doubt it however. I went from an SW12II to dual 16-46cs's - no comparison ! Good Luck.

T Man,

I used to have a KSW-15 and it was a good HT sub, but it wasnt real musical. i now have a pair of the 20-39's and THEY ARE THE REAL DEAL.I found that from 35hz up the output is about the same as a KSW 15 but down real low there is no comparison. The SVS's kill the KSW-15. I am getting usable output as low as 15-16hz.

Drop Tom V a email with any questions, I have found him more than willing to help. He answered many questions of mine about the Klipsch subs before I purchased the SVS's.

good luck

Earle

------------------

Reciever: Denon AVR3200

Speakers: Klipsch KG4.2's/KG2.2v/KSB 3.1's/SVS 20-39's

Amps: B&K Ref 4022(mains)/Fidek 600 watt(subs)

DVD: Toshiba 3109

Laser Disc: Pioneer CLD-1090

TV: Sony 32" monitor

2 pair of Aura Bass Shakers

Millennium 2.4.6 DTS Decoder

This message has been edited by Earle Decker on 06-06-2001 at 03:55 PM