Audigy 2 ZS Soundcard

mark1101

I am adding an Audigy 2 ZS soundcard to my PC which is connected to my Scott 222 / Las 2 Ch. system. I download music and want something better than the integrated sound that came on my PC.

I know this card has all kinds of HT and gaming capabilities, but I got it because it had some decent specs.

Has anyone fed this card into their tube systems and/or Heritage series speakers with any good results?

Does this come anywhere close to equating my PC sound into the Scott with a home audio CD player connected directly to the Scott?

The card should arrive this week and I have some pretty high expectations that I could play streamed or downloaded music directly into the Scott without always having to burn CDs, or I could use the PC CD drive to play CDs, and have audiophile sound.

Am I lunching or could this be?10.gif

I have an Audigy 2 Platinum, which I believe is the same as the ZS with just 6.1 sound instead of 7.1. I have had it hooked up to a Onkyo TX-DS595 SS reciever, an S5 Electronics kit tube amp, and now it is running to an Eico HF-81. I love the sound card, it is a HUGE upgrade from integrated sound. But as far as audiophile sound... I don't think it is quite there. I think this is one of the best sound cards available for non-pro use. M-Audio also makes some good cards. But there is a noticeable difference in sound quality between the sound card and a cheap Panasonic DVD-Audio player I have running to the Eico as well. Even when comparing a non compressed aiff file vs the cd. I don't quite understand the difference in quality, as the Audigy 2 looks better on paper than the Panasonic. I guess you just can't trust specs alone for sound quality. You may have better luck with the ZS though!

I just re-read my post and it sounded a little like I am dissapointed with the Audigy 2. I am not at all, I think that for ~$100 it is one of the best buys I have made for my computer. I was just trying to say that if you want audiophile performance, you may have to look at spending a little bit more. Something like TerraTec, or Delta by MAudio. Those sound cards are in the $300 range. Which isn't all that bad considering the prices of other audiophile gear.

Thanks for the info. I guess I will try it out and see how it sounds. I wouldn't spend $300.00 for PC sound. I would buy a nice DVD player that does all the formats, and just burn the material onto CDs/DVDs.

But I think this card will do for playing the PC directly into the system and still getting really nice sound.

Thanks again.

if you haven't bought it yet i would suggest posting in the sound card forum way down at the bottom...they always make reference to some other brands which are cheaper, spec higher, and sound better (the true test). i personally find the audigy to be a bit on the harsh side, but it is definetly a massive improvement over the integrated audio.

Mark,

I use a M Audio Audiophile 24/96 ($100 used eBay) on my music server in my basement for rolling 2300 high quality MP3's to my main system while working. I also bought a Magenta ADE-24 Analog/Digital Enhancer ($75 used eBay ) which is baiscally buffer that I use between the PC and my preamp this piece sounds horrible with my CD player but does well with the PC this maybe because of the 16' interconnects ? This produces great sound for casual toe tapping while I solder ! It easily reaches near CD quality and in some ways better .

Craig