Heresy's

Piranha

Yes, I just bought them from my neighbor. They are Heresy Birch Raw. I am also buying a pair of 77 Cornwall's from his brother in HBR.

I currently have a Carver TFM 35x amp and a Carver C-5 preamp. But, I am seriously considering buying an Adcom 5500 or 5800 amp and Adcom GTP 450 preamp to drive the Klipsch Cornwalls.

That is unless someone can sway me to buy something else in the same price range.

Thanks again for you help!

Stay on this forum very long and you'll be persuaded to buy a vintage tube amp to drive your cornwalls. Nothing sounds better with horns and you'll save $$$. You don't need a lot of power to drive these efficient speakers. Look through the 2-channel forum and see what amps are being used with cornwalls. You'll find lots of HH Scotts, Eicos, etc.

Do some searching and ask some questions and you may even find someone in your area who will let you take listen to their system. Good luck.

Yes, I have noticed that the McIntosh MC-30 and MC-50 seem to be very popular tube amps in this Two Channel Forum.

I remember loving the Cornwall when I first heard it in 1978 while in the US Air Force stationed overseas. My roomate had a pair driven by a Sansui 9090DB receiver. I couldn't believe what I heard. My ears were stunned to say the least.

----------------

On 11/10/2003 10:50:31 PM tombjr wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but what are HH Scotts and Eicos?

----------------

Primarily integrated tube amps from the early 60s. The scott 299 series is very popular here. A couple of the forum members, Craig of NOSValves being one, rebuild these for a living. I bought my 299b from ebay and had it sent directly to Craig for a rebuild. About $650 later I had the most amazing sounding amp I'd ever heard.

I have a much more expensive setup in my basement with McIntosh/Marantz and it doesn't sound as good as the scott. Others have similiar experience with Eico HF81s (or 51s - I can't remember which).

Do a search on ebay and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Tom,

I'd do some research first. A nice 299 (not 229) goes for around $300 on ebay. Expect to pay another $300-$350 for a rebuild which is almost always necessary (99% of the time). 299A and B are basically the same but the 299b has a little more power (40 watts vs ??). The C and D use different tubes (slightly more expensive) and have more power. Some have unpowered center channels you can hook a powered sub to (A & B) while some of the Cs and Ds have powered center channels. There were many versions of all of these including kits which go by different model #s (LK?? I believe). There's tons of info on this forum if you do a search on "299" or "scott." It's always best if you can audition one first though. I know there are lots of CA members here.

I listened to my cornwalls with high powered SS for 23 years before I came here and learned about tubes. I'll never go back.

The 299s are integrated so you do not need a pre. Some of the Eicos are not integrated so you would need one. Also, there are many dynaco users here. Most of those are not integrated however. That's one of the nice things about the scotts. One unit is all you need.