Cross-over diagram of RF3-II?

rmgvs

I am a long-term owner of the SF-1 and just recently bought the RF3II. I am not yet convinced that the RF3 is superior to the SF-1. It has only 50 hours of playing and will be bettered, I guess, after more burning in.

For now I find the bass of the RF3 more boxy and the highs more recessed, less airy. Because there is more mid-bass, the RF-3 sounds more heavy, somewhat more syrupy.

Has somebody looked at the schematics of the cross-over of the RF-3? Would it be possible to give the tweeter 1 dB more output (in most cases this can be done by changing 2 resistors).

Any help or comments or suggestions? Would be welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

----------------

On 11/15/2003 7:18:01 AM rmgvs wrote:

I am a long-term owner of the SF-1 and just recently bought the RF3II. I am not yet convinced that the RF3 is superior to the SF-1. It has only 50 hours of playing and will be bettered, I guess, after more burning in.

For now I find the bass of the RF3 more boxy and the highs more recessed, less airy. Because there is more mid-bass, the RF-3 sounds more heavy, somewhat more syrupy.

Has somebody looked at the schematics of the cross-over of the RF-3? Would it be possible to give the tweeter 1 dB more output (in most cases this can be done by changing 2 resistors).

Any help or comments or suggestions? Would be welcome.

----------------

I did find a little break in was useful but it only very slightly changed the character of the speakers and toned down the brightness a tiny bit. It difference was so small it could have just been my ears getting used to new speakers. What I'm trying to get at is break in will not solve your problem.

I'm very familiar with the SF-1's and the RF-3's and you should notice a great improvement in sound. Maybe you should try and flip the phase on one of them in case you accidentally wired them out of phase.

I am glad that a number of comments are here after the problem is solved. A number of comments from my side:

1. Everybody is entitled to have his own opinion. Please respect the fact that opinions do differ and do not try to dominate the discussion with ears that are not in order etc.

2. The SF1's are very very good speakers, I think a lot of people do not give them the credits they deserve because they are the bottom of the line of Klipsch. I listen to these speakers with the most expensive and calibrated tube-gear and hear differeces between caps, cables, resistors and what all. The soundstage is really astonishing.A lot of people claim that the tweeters are too bright, but I guess this is due to bad transistor amps before the tweeters. If I listend to the SF-1 via a normal grade Sony/Akai/Onkyo/Denon and what you have, the sounds is just so-so.

3. Yes, the RF3-II right out of the box is no comparison with SF-1 under these circumstances. I am not dealing with home-cinema but with normal 2 channel stereo and first class signal-input. The first week of my listening I really thought of reselling the RF3 if things did not change.

4. Now, after more than 100 hours of playing, the RF3's are still better than the SF-1. But the differences need not be exagerrated. The sound stage is more huge, the highs are slightly more refined and there is more of a full-mids sound (more bloom or whatever). The differences between the speakers when it needs to get really low is not the great (a few herzes, not a big deal).

Resuming: both speakers are very special value for their money and a class in their own.