Matching Klipschorns to Amplifier

leaddogak

I've tried numerous amps on my K-horns (Mcintosh SS, Yamaha SS, vintage Fisher 500C, 300B SET, 2A3 ppp, 2A3 SET, 45 SET, etc.)

To me, the very first watt is by far the most important. It needs to be clean, solid, musical & noise-free (no hiss or by-products).

Every amp has its attributes & disadvantages. My favorite is my 2A3 SET's. Very Musical, no fatigue whatsoever. I wish it was 100 watts per channel sometimes (but not very often)!

Also, VIP is the pre-amp. I highly suggest a well made, quiet tube variety. Then you have the option of getting a musical solid state amp (such as a McCormack) if you wish.

My $0.02,

Pete

PS - Remember the K-horns are ultra-sensitive to all components attached to them. "Garbage in = garbage out"

Hi Pete: Try my post above. If you're not quite satisfied with the punch at concert level, consider bi-amping. I use a Conrad Johnson tube preamp and had a second set of outputs installed. I really believe the bass amp is less important than is freeing up the SET's to work their magic on the mids and highs. BTW, your system must sound fantastic.

Check out the offerings from Monarchy Audio. http://www.monarchyaudio.com/

A pair of monoblock SE-100 Delux amps would work well. I would stick to monos. Every official Klipsch show decades ago that included the horns, included Mark Levinsion monos to drive them. That was until Mark sold out. Don't know what they are using now.

I wanted the horns, since 1967. I finally bought a pair in 1985. The salesman said to the chagrin of my girlfriend at the time, "Man, that's longer than you could have ever wanted a women."

She's long gone, and the horns are still around putting out.

9.gif

-Guy