7.1 Speaker positioning

Gnomore

Gnomore - Starting at the Right Front and going counter-clockwise: Right Front, Front Center, Left Front, Left Surround (side), Left Surround (rear), Right Surround (rear), Right Surround (side), Subwoofer somewhere in all that (wheverever it sounds best). The surrounds are usually about 6-7 feet off the floor.

Doug

This message has been edited by dougdrake on 06-05-2001 at 01:36 PM

is there any real 7.1 material/hardware out there except for pro audio?

been looking for that for a relatively long time in the consumer market, I think it would be the next logical step forward (after matrixed 6.1) and something I would love to experiment with.

This message has been edited by Seb on 06-05-2001 at 11:14 PM

there's some dts-es 6.1 discrete material but i've seen no true 7.1 discrete stuff yet from dolby or dts

oh & there's some "7.1" hardware like the denon 5800 that will output the rear center channel to 2 rear surround effects outputs f.e. w/ dts-es as i understand it.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

This message has been edited by boa12 on 06-06-2001 at 01:08 AM

Gnomore Gnus: IMHO 6.1 is the essential multi-channel HT environment... although I now use Yammie's front effects channels with KLF 10's to provide depth to the front soundstage reminiscent with larger Klipsch speakers I have known.

The mains are spiked on the floor, the center is atop the Mitsu 65", the front effects mounted on pillars so the horns are about a foot higher than the ears of someone seated in the prime listening area.

Currently, the L&R Side Surrounds and the rear effects are shock mounted atop KSW-12's... which deepens the rear sound stage illusion where it counts... in the theater-between-the-ears. The KSW-12's only kick in when the source goes low and loud... and that KICK provides an extra burst of energy to lend credence to HT "surprise" sounds in one's rear. Atop the KSW-12's the three KLF 30's are just the right height for effects duty (a foot above seated sweet spot ear level).

With a small number of actual 6.1 and a ton of 5.1 source material, there can be a steady supply of at least matrixed 6.1 for the serious HT addict. 7.1 may help folks with very large rooms, but I think 6.1 is a better environment. 6.1 allows sound engineers to have the advantages in the rear array that they have with the mains and center channel. Also, the ability for engineers to move sounds between the left, rear, and right effects speakers provide a better vehicle to pinpoint rear sounds or create an ambient effect to make the hair stand up on the back of your neck.

Two things stand out if setting up Klipsch multi-channels. First, take a Rolltide Keith "we-aim-to-please" attitude... aim your Klipsch horns like you were sighting in a rifle between the ears of some "fastwomen" sitting in the sweet spot and not the old dog in the corner. And, second, use your trusty analog Radio Shack SPL meter rather than your "untrusty" audiophile ears (or a transient tongue-in-groove technique if you are a Rock Boa) to set up your target volumes. You might even log in a few readings on favorite HT passages to get a better idea of what your effects speakers are doing in the real DVD world... rather than the speaker set-up discs.

cwm20.gif On the far side, it would be fun if these KLF 30's were built as tubes so they would look better as free standing columns and, therefore, be able to be placed further from the wall in an aesthetically pleasing way... and they could hold decorator objects to win over the distaff side! Biggrin.gif

------------------

HornEd's Herd of Legends

KLF 30 Mains

KLF 30 Center (Mod)

KLF 30 Surrounds

KLF 30 Rear Effects

KLF 10 Front Effects

Subs: KSW-15 + 3 KSW-12's

Speaker Support Systems:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65"

Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and still tweakin'...

hey ed i did get that meter & it does sound better, though still awaiting the return of my velodyne hgs.

guess the amp is now out there nearer to u @ the vel labs. cwm28.gif

i missed the details on your mod klf-30 center. how'd u mod it or is that in another thread? how's it working for ye?

------------------

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX Biwires

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

Yo, Boa, the KLF 30 center project got bogged down in the crush of FedEx delivery process. I was going to use my most beaten up KLF 30 for the experiment... and thanks to FedEx one of these former beauties became the one. I had a great chat with Trey on the problems and opportunities of a KLF 30 center and hope a few more folks will get into the act.

I did start a new thread "HiTech Center Pros & Cons" on Updating Old Speakers which includes some topics that may tickle your verbal fancy.

Of course, I have the C-7 and if I go 6.1 instead of 7.1, I have an extra KLF 30... and I still have an extra KLF 10 that I could do a "Q-doo" to.

My best tweak of the day was to replace the SB-2's I had on 6' columns for Front Effects with, you guessed it, a pair of Legends (KLF 10's) with 36" heels! I was startled at how the sound stage improved with the voice of the KLF 10's having their subtle way.

While it is true that I have a fair amount of horns in the room, my purpose is not to blow away our neighbors, but rather to build a 360° cascade of sound that carries anyone in the prime listening area to exercise that wonderful audio space between the ears.

Adding KLF 10's as Front Effects gave me a thrill and reminded me of the grand Klipschorn soundstages that I have built previously. I had been making the mistake of believing that the 25 watts available for each front effects speaker would be too puny for any Legend. Man, was I wrong!

cwm30.gif HornEd

------------------

HornEd Legendary HT Herd

KLF 30 L&R Mains

KLF 30 Center

KLF 30 L&R Surrounds

KLF 30 Rear Surround

KLF 10 L&R Front Effects

Speaker Support Systems:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65"

Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and more... Tweak On!

looks primo ed! but please now that i've made an investment in a bigger, meaner 5.1 receiver, don't entice me to move on to 6.1-9.1 Biggrin.gif

absolutely don't have the room anyway (as i keep telling myself). good luck w/ the center & any fed-ex claims.

& it looks like u have enough extra for a 2nd room system. sure u have a nice lil tube amp or something lying around cwm40.gif

------------------

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX Biwires

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

There is very little discreate 6.1 material, although the Dolby matrix does extract some rear material from some 5.1 dvds. So far my rear channel seems to add to the surround effect but rarely in a very dramatic way.

Soundog, sorry to hear your not getting the woofs you deserve out of 6.1. Agreed that 6.1 discretely recorded material is far too rare, but I find that my Yamaha RX-V3000 matrixes 6.1 from 5.1 so well that I really notice when it's not on. You might try the re-issue of "Ben Hur" as an example of superb sound engineering in updating an old sound track to 5.1 and compare it with "Sound of Music" an elegantly done classic done in 4.0!

IMHO, the rear effects speaker in 6.1 provides a comfortable "sound curtain" to my predator configured focus (eyes & ears) toward the screen. My studies indicate that the psychoacoustic bent of predators tends to make them more comfortable when the sound behind them is non-threatening (and, thereby, not too dramatic). Sort of like gazing into an evening campfire and hearing the night sounds in the forest all around... compared to the dramatic "asspects" of the campfire scene in "Blazing Saddles." I do find that having front effects speakers helps to lace the rear "sound curtain" to the front array of mains and center.

A pet peeve of mine (and, now, maybe yours) is the insipid use of the 5.1 in the original sound mix. We see at least one new DVD a day here and I have begun working on a sound rating system for DVD's. I must admit that, so far, dts seems to maintain a definite edge... particularly on the "dramatic" side. It seems that the abilities of speaker, preamp/amp, and sound mixer are rarely sufficiently in sync to live up to 6.1's potential... but there is a lot to like along the way. I expect you have set up your system with a Radio Shack $35 SPL meter... until you are awash with balanced waves... it will make your sound predator head swim! cwm41.gif Enjoy! HornEd

------------------

HornEd Legendary HT Herd

KLF 30 L&R Mains

KLF 30 Center

KLF 30 L&R Surrounds

KLF 30 Rear Surround

KLF 10 L&R Front Effects

Speaker Support Systems:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65"

Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and more... Tweak On!

This message has been edited by HornEd on 06-07-2001 at 11:03 AM

sorry, can't format diagram of my set-up. was going to show that i have no more room. you'll just have to take my word on it Biggrin.gif

anyway, i do have those 3 black holes - one on each side & in rear center. but at least the rear wall is the short one & do have the toed-in cornwalls in rear corners to fill in the rear/rear sides nicely.

This message has been edited by boa12 on 06-07-2001 at 11:31 AM