Is there any benefit to reciever video inputs

TIbor

Hi

What type of benefit does connecting say my dvd player to my reciever than to my tv. Is it only to give you more inputs to be useds and or to allow you to control most of your home theatre thought the reciever? Does it clean up the picture at all? And lastly I have the Denon 2803 on order. This reciever has the output for a rear center. I dont have one yet. will the receiver just not produce the sound from it and split it between the rears or how does that work

Also I see the denon allows you to change the crossover freq from 40,60,80,100,120. No with the rf-3II and the svs pb2-isd What should I set the crossover to on the reciever and what should it be on the sub

Thanks again. I have some pics I will post soon. It doesnt have any of my new stuff in it yet though. Just what is listed below!

THanks

Video switching on a reciever is merely passing information on; there's no video processing invovled. It's primary purpose is so that you can basically never touch your TV controls: all video and audio source is managed by the AV unit. To help achieve this many recievers will translate all inputs to a single output, but that's as far as they go.

Because the signal is still analog that means every switch potentially degrades signal quality however, so some purists will opt to run the video feed directly to the Television and don't use the reciever. THen of course you start looking into a nice macro-remote to keep things simple to operate ;)

It's only for convenience and like already mentioned there is no processing done to the signal. Although technically when you add anything in the signal path it degrades the signal, I've never noticed a difference between going straight to the tv or routing it through the receiver.

One other reason to use the receiver is for the onscreen menu. On my HK receiver, you can only adjust the crossover freq's through the onscreen menu.