RW-10 doesn't seem to be loud enough

glennbarn

I just bought an RW-10 and connected it to my Harman Kardon AVR 525 pre-amp subwoofer output and it doesn't seem to be as loud as I think it should be, even at full volume.

I connected this to the LFE input of the sub. Is there something that I missed ?

Any feedback would appreciated. Thanks.

hmm... put your xover setting to all small. i think this way it will increase the sub output level.

read your reciever manual, and your sub manual.

if you've tried all this things, buy a y adapter with 1 female and 2 male. this way you can increase the ouput by 3 db.

if all things doesnt work. call harman and or klipsch.

----------------

On 11/23/2003 8:29:40 PM glennbarn wrote:

I just bought an RW-10 and connected it to my Harman Kardon AVR 525 pre-amp subwoofer output and it doesn't seem to be as loud as I think it should be, even at full volume.

I connected this to the LFE input of the sub. Is there something that I missed ?

Any feedback would appreciated. Thanks.
----------------

The RW-10 is a quality sub but output is just not it's game. I'll admit that I've only played with one at a store while their for something else but Nousaine just measured it and he pretty much said the same thing. You can see how it rates in this list I've compiled:

http://members.cox.net/frankcarter/Tom%20Nousaine%20Sub%20Data.htm

See my response to your other post on this topic. Some receiver lack sufficient output voltage at their sub output to drive this and other subs to full volume. Use the sub out on your HK receiver and add a Y adaptor to send signal into both Left and Right input on the subwoofer. This will give you 6 dB more output and should solve the problem.

• 3 weeks later...

I am having a similar problem. I hear very little coming out of the RW-10 subwoofer. Only on a heavy bass rap song can I hear a distinct bass--and that's only with the SW turned all the way up. I have tried every trick described on this thread. My Denon-3802 speaker test worked OK, but I don't seem to get a noticeable bass with most CD's or DVD's.

I am curious if you resolved this.

----------------

On 12/12/2003 1:00:16 AM WalkKen wrote:

My Denon-3802 speaker test worked OK, but I don't seem to get a noticeable bass with most CD's or DVD's.

----------------

Most CD's and DVD's don't have a ton of sub-bass content... If the pink-noise test seems pretty balanced... it may just be the source material??

Also check to see what your x-over frequency is set at... obviously the lower the frequency the less content your sources will have for it. You may have two crossovers... one at the sub and the other in the receiver... If this is the case, use the one in the receiver (80Hz is the THX recommended x-over point I believe) ... and set the one on the sub to it's maximum (ie: greater then 80Hz).

Good luck...

Rob

The Denon 3802 does have an adjustable sub crossover frequency, and as Formica mentioned, the factory default is usually 80Hz. If you set it at 100 Hz, more of your source material's low frequencies will be sent to the sub, and you can set your sub's Xover freq high (at around 100-130Hz), or simply use the LFE input/setting which bypasses the sub's Xover and leaves its freq response up to it's full limits. Also, the Denon should also have a setting in the setup menu that let's you choose "sub operation + mains", as opposed to "norm". This will also send more of your source material's low frequencies to the sub (usually a constant send), and then you can adjust your sub's Xover to where you feel comfortable. There are some reviews that mention that the RW-10 doesn't have a whole lot of output, but it can probably compliment your mains' bass performance quite well if you use a setting along the lines of what's mentioned above...so long as your mains are at least bookshelf-type speakers with a freq response down to 60Hz or so, and not little sattelites.

Thanks for the advice Formica and Whadyasay. I seem to have gotten better output at xover of 100 hz and by using a Y-cable to slip the LFE into the left and right input on the sub. As Formica said, however, the CD's I tested probably do not have a lot of sub. A Euro-Disco CD I just tested really brought out the sub a lot more. My wife is still not convinced, however, that this giant cube that cost $400 was a wise spend. That's another matter I don't expect anyone to solve....

Also forgot to mention that The 3802 should also have a menu in the 'surround parameters' menu that adjusts the overall LFE output, which most people set to max...which would probably be 0 on the 3802 (as opposed to, say. -5). In terms of the Mrs..... play Marvin Gaye's 'Sexual Healing' with and without the sub, and see if she notices a difference. Then again, she still might not be sure, so ahe'll put on Janet Jackson's 'What Have You Done For Me Lately' just to check.....

Sorry, that was rude.

I went back to my supplier and listened to M&K, Polk audio, B&W ASW650 and B&W ASW600. I then traded my RW-10 with the ASW600. It sound more musical to me and I only turn it to 10 o'clock poisition and its good enough.

I did as BobG suggested, I used a Y connector but I still set my receiver's bass management ( Harman Kardon AVR 525 ) at 0db, I could have set it to a higher positive value but I'm, still trying to get the average for most of the material I have at home. I've also set it to 80Hz crossover.

So far so good. I will have a 3-week vacation soon and I definitely have more time tweaking the settings !

Michael, the room is 5 x 9 meters and the subwoofer is located at the corner about 9 inches from both walls.

I brought the unit to my supplier and we listened to it. It did sounded loud enough but there was a trace of internal echo of some sort, making it sound a bit "muddy" and slow. The ASW600 sounded more convincing to me. One lesson I learned was to trust my ears a bit more rather than giving bias to specifications.

That's a pretty big room you have there. I would suggest that the subwoofer you tried would be too small ( not enough displacment ) for that room. I would suggest that the rsw-15 would be more of a capable subwoofer, but the same level of performance can be had for much less if you are into woodworking and are a diy'er.