Blew a spearker

JoeTV

Last night, while watching "Raiders of the Lost Ark", my right rear speaker (RS-3) totaly distorted. The tweeters sound ok, but the woofer sounds terrible. I swapped outputs on the amp and the distorted sound stayed in that speaker, then I removed the speaker and connected it to a front speaker cable, still sounded bad. I took the grill off and tried to press the woofer, it was very stiff and would not move at first, then began to move but feels very sticky. Definatly a blown speaker!!

Funny thing is, it really was not very loud.

The more I think about it, I have had some distortion from this speaker for a while, I noticed it when I first played DVD-A or MC SACD, but it was very slight and intermitten before, and only at low volumes.

Anyway, it is still covered under warrantee, so I am dropping it off at Tweeter for service after work.

Wish me luck!

Joe

----------------

On 11/24/2003 7:30:10 PM DrWho wrote:

sounds like your voice coil got outta line...you can fix this yourself, but it takes some work. i'd first try to hunt down klipsch or your dealer and see what they can do for you (perhaps something for free if you got a warranty).

----------------

From my opening post:

"it is still covered under warrantee, so I am dropping it off at Tweeter for service after work."

14.gif

"OK, stop it now, I'm in a vulnerable state here, I have a sick system. I come to you for support, and all you can do is make fun of me....."

Sorry Joe,

We are not making fun of you, we are having some fun along with you. Sort of like gallows humor. I'm glad to hear your speaker is under warrantee but, I am sad for you that you might be without it for a while. Be careful of overdriving your speakers. If you set them to large on your HT amp they may be getting more low frequency energy than they can handle and over extending the voice coil and damaging it. Let your subwoofer handle those explosions it can take it.

Rick

• 3 weeks later...

I got my speaker back lat night, it looks good and sounds great! In fact it sounds better than ever. I think it might have been bad right out of the box. I havent had then for very long (less than a year). Might just sound better to have "complete set" again.

Thanks for all the kind words of encouragment during this difficult time.16.gif

Joe