WAF question - Cherry or Black

swissy

This may be a girly question but here goes.

I am ordering the RB-35 and I have only seen these in black. I was going to stick with black, but they are out of stock. I do, normally, like cherry finishes, but I do not want a cheap looking vinyl. I was hoping someone has seen these in the cherry and could tell me if they look nice. The WAF will decrease exponentially if they look cheap.

Please dont get the idea I think Klipsch will do a crappy job on there finishes, I just want to make sure they look nice.

Thanks in advance.

This could go one way or the other. Cherry finish is real nice, kinda fine furniture look. I know my wife unit was much happier with the Mahogony KSP 400's I got than the black ones we saw. She described the shear size of the speakers in black as "Monolithic". Sort of a 2001 Space Oddesy thing. I prefer larger speakers to be of Natural looking wood (Walnut,Cherry,Mahogony,etc.) while smaller speakers (ie: Surrounds) should be black because they blend in better. You can not effectively hide LARGE speakers in black very easily unless it is in a dedicated home theater where it is dark most of the time anyhow because they end up looking HUMUNGOUS compaired to their natural wood conterparts. Well thats my opinion and I am sure others will disagree with me.

The cherry finish looks nice but it comes down to personal preference. No, I don't think it would fool most people into thinking it is real veneer but on the other hand, I don't find the black appealing at all. To me, it also looks lighter in person than the pictures on the website. I would definately try to see a speaker with the cherry finish before buying. -Jim.

----------------

Sort of a 2001 Space Oddesy thing.

----------------

Believe it or not, I knew what you meant by Monolithic. I have a Hal 3000 running my system

At any rate, the closest store is 120mi and they are out of cherry anyway. I am going to go with it, sort of a faith based purchase. I was originally looking for cherry finish, however I do not trust the vinyl look very often. I had some KG 4s and loved the oak look of those. I know cherry vinyl is different, but like I said, faith based.

Thanks again for the responses. I just needed that pat (or push) on the back to make me feel better about the compromise.