Help on picking a receiver/ preamp

mtber101

I've been looking at the aragon stage one just because it is on the klipsch website. If price isn't really a problem what is the best preamp/ receiver money can buy? Also what about amps? If i get a receiver do i really need to amp anything other than the sub? How do the aragon amps stack up to others. I really like the look of aragon products and have only read good reviews on them. Any help would be great

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

The stage one is a very high quality Home Theater Preamp with a tunner section. Seperate power amps for all channels would be needed. It is not a "receiver" that consists of integrated preamp, tunner and amps all in one package. If price is no object why would you choose a receiver over seperates? What speakers are you planning on using?

I know the difference between a preamp and a receiver just wasn't sure if preamps were better in general. The only reason I asked about using an amp with a receiver is because some receiver don't put out many watts.

As for speakers:

Fronts RF7

Center RC7

Surrounds RS7

Rear surrounds RF7

For subs i'm not really sure yet. I really like the SVS SS (pair) but for 5k i could have three RSW15's or three sunfires. What would you guys go with? System is going to be most music (75%) and movies (25%)

Other preamps i've looked at is the B&K reference 50, Anthem AVM20, and Sunfire Theater Grand III. Am i missing anything in way of high(est) end preamps? Any comments on the ones i've listed or other ones that you can think of would be great.

Klipsch speakers are quite efficent so high wattage is not necessary. The Outlaw Audio 950 HT Preamp w/ am/fm tuner and their 7 channel high current 100 watt per channel 7100 7 channel amp both won 2004 Editor's Choice Awards from Stereophile Guide to Home Theater. Cost is aprox. $1600. You can pay a way lot more but this combo would be a great match for your speakers. It is truly high quality at a budget price. If you really want more power, Outlaw also makes a 200 watt per channel version for about $800 more.

----------------

On 11/28/2003 8:29:51 PM easylistener wrote:

As for power, get big power. Alot of people around hear will tell you, you don't need much but you do. The 7's lower und doesn't really shine intill you put 200 or more of good clean power.

----------------

I have heard that recently too. However, don't get me/us wrong, I am running with a 7x100 watts and my RF7s sound great. Curiosity is creeping in though about higher watts.

Moon you need to take a good amp home. You will never go back to a receiver. I have listened to the 7's with a receiver and they sounded dead. Now if you hook them up to some great clean power you may rethink your whole idea of good sound. You will want to play music and movies at such a great high level you will be breath less. You won't even consider using a sub with music.

As for the amp I listened to with the sunfire pro was the Cinema Seven. Some times it is not best to stick with the same brand of pre and amp. But that combo was nice. If money was no object I would look at the classe omega monos. But who has that kind of money.

----------------

On 11/29/2003 11:15:48 PM Darren wrote:

No Sub for music? You are definitely getting more bass out of the 7's than I am. I posted in another chain, but the more I read in this site the more I realize I've got to test some better amps!

----------------

Those sevens will hit so hard it will jump start you heart. I think they may have the best bottom end of any speaker I have heard.

I would pick the sunfires because of some of the fetures they have. Like the Out put to make them sound more tube like, it realy works. There is better out there.

A dealer once told me something that makes a lot of sence and it matches my experience. Different manufacturers excel at different things. Carver may make great amps, but their HT pre's aren't know for being musical. Anthem makes a great pre, but their amps leave a lot of room for improvemnt.

I don't know about Aargon or Lexicon's pre's but Lexicon's amps are awesome!

One of the great parts about going separates is being able to mix and match the best pieces. I wouldn't suggest limiting yourself to one manufacturer.

yea...if money is no object....why not go to one of those stores that will only serve you by appointment...and drop about $30,000 and let them help you pick one combo best for you. For that price, i'm sure they'll let you test all those high-end preamp and surround processors out there one by one with your particular set-up. Hahaha...