tech question on 222-C, need help with PS repair

Tom Mobley

I have a 222C power transformer being repaired, the guy asked my how voltage is required to be present at the leads. These are the red and red/yellow leads that go to pins 4 and 6 of the 5AR4 rectifier tube. These are the leads that provide the high voltage that ends up being B+. The file attached shows it to be 430V off the rectifier, but how much is it going into the rectifier? There's losses in rectification, right?

The attached .gif of the schematic shows this 430 off the rectifier but doesn't say what's going into the rectifier from the transformer.

Id there a standard formula for figuring this or is unique to each rectifier tube/amp design? I remember reading something on this awhile back but sure can't find it now....

Tom

post-9215-138192504754_thumb.gif

at http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/audio/supply.htm

the guy posts this chart:

"# The output voltage of a tube diode is about 90% of its input voltage, here are the insertion losses of some common tubes compared to solid state technology:

83: 2-3%

5AR4/GZ34: 3-7% <----- our case here

5V4/GZ32: 6-12%

5U4/GZ37: 8-16%

5R4: 12-22%

5Y3: 13-23%

6087: 18-30%"

using worst case, 430 x 1.07 = 460.1, pretty good guessing there Craig. :)

anybody got any brilliant alternatives? otherwiser, I'll call him tomorrow give him that number.

Tom

Tom,

My first guess was 350V then I went down and fired up a 299A and adjusted the Variac to 117 volt which produced 360V . I'm about 99% sure this will do it for you. The worst case scenario would be you have to adjust the value of the first dropping resistor so no big deal. I bet 360V does a fine job though. I've measured many before and they are usually real close to this in the Scott 7189 amps they just used a different dropping resistor for the different amps. Remember that the voltage will be higher and how much will depend on your wall voltage when you put it back together.

Craig

Mark,

There's dumb luck and then there's educated and experienced dumb luck. Not much doubt here as to which one you're taking advantage of. Thanks to all three of you guys for posting here.

Is this a great forum or what?

I've already copied all these into a doc, I'm sure I'll need them later when I build an amp (or two).

Tom