1985 Forte's with RC-7 / RS-7

acex2

High, Must say I love this form, here almost every day.

I've got a pair of 1985 Forte's, and was wondering how thay will match

up with the RC-7 / RS-7 / RW12 / and RCW-5.

Just finishing the new 17x20 HT / family room.

Going Klipsch all the way around, just not sure if my old Forte's will

match up OK.

Thanks

Well, I'll trot out the ol' "ideal matching speakers" speach for ya, then :) In order of descending "matchness:"

1) Forte's all around - Think outside the lines. If you can, you'll be in heaven.

2) Forte center and Heresy's for surrounds

3) Forte center and R-series for surrounds

4) Academy center and R-series for surrounds.

5) From here, there are varying opinions on good centers - KLF-C7, KV-3, even RC-7/RC-3.

So it sounds like using my Fortes as the 2 front mains is not a good idea

with the rest of the speakers being the Ref. line.

Ideal would be using my 2 Fortes as front mains.

RC-7 or RC-35 center

RS-7 or RS-35 Side surrounds

RW-12

and the RCW-5 in the rear.

Would this setup disapoint me?

or should I retier the Fortes to the basement and get the RF5 or 7's????

Hello,

If you are set on going with Reference speakers, you (and your ears) would be better served by going with ALL Reference. The most important factor is the center channel... I tried to match an RC-3 to my Fortes about a year ago, and the sound mis-match was HORRIBLE. I tried a KLF-C7 for several months, but was fortunate enough to finally latch onto an Academy. It is the best traditional-style center match for the Fortes (another Forte or a Heresy might be better, just more difficult to integrate with an RPTV set-up, if that's how you're going).

The front soundstage is great... you might notice that I have RS-3's as surrounds. The timbre mis-match is not nearly as noticable with surround speakers (I think I've only noticed it one time), and I would probably prefer the RS-7, but do not have the space.

If you want to hang onto the Forte's, you have some serious classified and ebay work ahead of you (unless you want to build your own center). If this prospect is more than you care to deal with, then the Reference series (especially those nice big "7"s) is a terrific option.

I third what Chuck said.

Now is a good time to find an academy on ebay. Apparently there are a few out there. That's your best option unless you bite the bullet and buy RF7s or 5s. Watch out though. The academy can bring some serious bidders to the table!