help on a speaker stand idea...

DrWho

Do you any of you guys out there know of any speaker stand to mount a speaker close to the cieling, without putting holes in the wall? I'd like to put my surrounds in a new location, but there are doorways underneathe both positions and my parents won't let me put holes in the wall...

all that to say, do you think placing a magnet in the attic and attaching a metal plate to the top of the speakers would work? It's the only way I can think of doing this without making holes or marks.

It might be possible to put a stand underneath, but I've only got about 2 inches between the door open and the wall...maybe a comibination of the magnet idea and a supporting pole to help with the weight?

Would there be any significant negative side-effects to the process? oh btw, the speakers are the "bose 4.2" (stereo-everywhere) speakers. yes i know, i should use a weak magnet so they'll accidently fall and smash apart, but they actually perform quite well.

If you want pics, just let me know...

The magnet idea is not going to work. The forces drop off very quickly.

All I can think of is some sort of a three sided frame made up of 1 x 3 or 1 x 4 to go around the door frame. Put the speaker on top.

The problem is that you're going to have to have some means of keeping it from tipping forward. I see some semi solid sticky puddy on the market which is used to mount pictures. That could work.

Maybe the parental units would not object to one or two very thin nails or screws to anchor the thing in place.

Best,

Gil

Do the door openings you speak of have casing (trim) around them? If so, you might be able to install a shelf above the door casing by nailing/screwing the back of the shelf into the top of the casing, and fashioning/purchasing some heavy duty shelf brackets and attaching them to the shelf only, front and back. The downturned leg of the brackets would rest against the vertical door casing and support the shelf. Triangular gussets would also work. Good luck.

thx for the ideas...im not a very good wood builder, but i'll look into them. and yes, there are door frames on both sides that i can use to help support weight.

as of now, no holes are permitted of any kind, but im thinking it might just be easier to change my parents' mind...or just do it and ask forgiveness later 2.gif

(they probably wouldn't even notice until their attention was brought to it) 11.gif

The holes in the top of the door trim would not be seen by anyone.

Another idea is stick-on velcro, but getting the velcro back off the wall/ceiling could be more destructive than a nail/screw hole in terms of repair. If you do end up putting holes in the wall/ceiling, AND they are painted white, Colgate toothpaste is pretty good at disguising small holes that no one is looking for.