Perfect Center for KG4's, does it exist?

rdfish1

I have two klipsch kg4's, last made in 1992 and can't seem to identify the best center channel. When i call klipsch or retailers, they send me to current product stock vs. recommending a used center that is the best choice. Strangely, the klipsch web site often tells you the best speakers to compliment a particular series, but not with the kg4's. How can I identify the right one for me?

My specs are: Two 8 inch woofers, one rear firing 12 inch, the tweeter is a one inch k-74, the range is 38-20Khz, crossover is 1800 and effic is 94db per watt. I don't know what all of this means but that's the specs from klipsch.

Centers seem to be KV3, kg2.2v and then all the newer series like rc25, rc35, rc3, etc.

Which one is best, pls,

thx.

rd fish,

If you are truly looking for the "perfect center", it is another KG4. Search these forums for "HornEd center" to see several threads on this topic. I did this mod to a KG 3.5 and I have a seamless soundstage across the front. If not interested in modifying a speaker then the KV-3 is the next best option.

I believe there is one on ebay right now...2.gif

Good Luck

• 1 month later...

I've tried the KV2, KV3 and the KLF-C7. The KV2 wasn't a very good match, too lean, not enough low end. For me the KV3 sounded perfect. I used one for several years and then sold it thinking the KLF-C7 would be a better match with its two 8" woofers same as in the Kg4. Wrong, I didn't like the sound at all. It sounded like all the trebel was going over our heads, no matter how much I tilted it downward. I tried for several months to find another KV3 with Oak finish, then settled for black. I'm always on the lookout for another reasonably priced one in Oak. I love my Kg4s and wouldn't sell them for anything.

First off, welcome to the forum!

To answer your post, the "best match" as "redtop" mentioned would be another KG4, given that space is potentially an issue your next best bet would be a KV3 (Diggs I am sure you will agree). That is what I went with and I love it, very happy with the highs and vocals. Given that the KG4's were produced in the early 80's a true center channel was never considered. Over time the KV3 was determined to be the ideal match for a true center channel, however another KG4 is truely the "best match".

Check out audiogon or ebay, in time you should be able to pick one up!

Good Luck!

JAG