THAT V-O-I-C-E: IMAX vs STANDARD Theater Follow-up

picky

Howdy Folks:

A few weeks ago I started this thread: m00n was RIGHT: ....That V-O-I-C-E !! MATRIX:REVOLUTIONS in IMAX right after my wife and I had seen 'The Matrix: Revolutions' at the local IMAX Theater at the Henry Ford, in Dearborn, Michigan. Last night, my wife and I, along with a couple of friends, went to see the movie again, only this time we saw it at a standard-type movie theater that had the typical Dolby Digital Surround sound system.

Although we still enjoyed the movie, it was no surprise at all that the differences between the standard presentation and the IMAX presentation were astounding! In short, it was like comparing apples to oranges.

First, the "immersion into the movie" visually as witnessed at the IMAX was totally non-existent. In fact, we all noticed that the movie wasn't even carefully focused as both the main feature as well as the previews all appeared to be fuzzy.

As for the sound, the IMAX was presented in 5.1 as the theater information suggests and the sound was much more prominent and life-like. At the standard theater, it appeared that the movie was being presented in either 6.1 or 7.1, as it was difficult to differeniate the output from the rear and side surrounds at times. Perhaps, some of you fellow forum participants out there have a better idea of what formats these films are released to the theaters in? I really do not know. At any rate, the sound seemed compressed and we could here the sound track "stutter" at times, a phenomenon we never noticed at the IMAX. When the VOICE from that "machine God" (for lack of a better term) was reproduced, it was still distinctly unusual and impressive. However we detected that some of the voice was also coming from the left and right fronts in addition to the side surrounds and subs, while at the IMAX it came only from the two rear surrounds and the subs.

My conclusion is that after the home DVD of this movie is remixed and released, I am now more confident that my system will be able to reproduce the voice fairly accurately, relative to the standard theater. But, alas, there is no match for that IMAX sound. Not at MY house anyway!! m00n tried to warn me and I chose to ignore him. DARN! 9.gif (I'm really glad we went)

-Picky 2.gif