my room layout

GooseChaser

The room was rearranged for my 2 channel a week ago and the bass was not what I was used to. I thought maybe there was a bump in the bass, so I measured the right channel at the listening position. Surprisingly, I got a relatively flat result between 10,000 hz to 55 hz. It stayed at -4+ dB with a few peaks up to 10 dB here and there. Then, the bass drops nearly 8 dB at 50 hz and there's just a hint of the lower stuff. Especially considering the last I measured, I was very happy with the result. So just for fun, I measured the left channel. It was just about the same except for a 10 dB drop between 93-132 hz that peaks between 99-117 hz with 14 dB drop. I tried switching the RCA's, but it didn't do a thing. Then, I measured both speakers at the driver and by the rear port, and the numbers corresponded. So, the source(the tone generator from my brother's laptop), the amplification(the yamaha), and the speakers were in the clear. The tone sounds really odd. The right channel sounds loud and very wide at 111 hz, and it's hard to tell where it's coming from. However, the left channel makes the tone sound as if it's coming from my right, slightly to the rear. What do you think about that? I've been moving the speakers in every position in the corners(against the side wall, facing the front wall, anything), but I can't seem to get around the dB drop. It's minimum when I have the speakers right in the corner, but not without a huge bump in the upper bass as well. As you can see from the layout, there's is no other possible configuration(besides, the layout is really ridiculous as it is, the closet is completely blocked and it's hard to bring things through the door) Even without the desk and the bed, those are the only two usable corners and I don't want the right rear port firing at the open window or be too close to it because it's almost always open. While drawing the layout, I realized I really don't have much to work with and I haven't even noticed the drop with music. And, I'd have to say it bothers me less than the very very small dent right on the outter edge of the left cerametallic coating. Feel free to comment on the setup, suggestions or whatever.

post-10357-13819250656378_thumb.jpg

It looks like you have about 9 x 11 to play with. That's a small room.

If it was my room I would have a pair of heresys and a subwoofer. Probably an EQ as well.

The stools are probably not effectively coupling the RBs to the floor and thus the drop in bass. Did you try the sweep with the speakers on the floor?

For such a small pair I would put them back into the corners for better bass. There will be some trade offs.

You can pick up heresys on ebay for a song on any day ($250 and up depending).

Of course these comments come from a loyal heritage fan. Enjoy.