DVD-A question

dgb

I finally got the scoop on my DVD player. It's not DVD-A compatable, but it is HDCD and is capable of playing 24bit/96Mhz recordings via the 2-channel analoge outputs. Am I going to notice any appreciable difference playing a DVD-A disk (presumably play on regular DVD players) over a regular CD? Do they generally record the PCM layer at 44.1, 48 or 96? From what I can gather, there are...

DVD (regular DVD)

DVD 24/96

DVD-A (not PCM)

DVD-A/V (I'm assuming fully DVD compatable)

Am I missing somthing?

You can hear major differences between DVD-As and CDs when the DVD-A is mixed properly. DVD-A generally is mastered with Meridian Lossless Packing. The recording can be at 48, 96 or 192 kHz sample rate with word lengths of 16, 20 or 24 bits. The 192/24 DVD-A is limited to 2 channel.

The biggest weaknesses of DVD-A are: 1. Software is of highly varaible quality. 2. Most receivers cannot decode DVD-As, i.e. analog inputs must be used. 3. DVD-A players do not have the best bass management or time alignment capabilities. 4. DVD-A menus require a video monitor be used to navigate menus; the monitor then displays the same picture as the music plays thereby burning the monitor.

There are other issues as well, but you can read all about it on the Sound and Vision Forum. Good DVD-As sound as good as any form of recording that I have ever heard. The poorly recorded or mixed DVD-As are a waste of money.

Bill

"DVD-A menus require a video monitor be used to navigate menus; the monitor then displays the same picture as the music plays thereby burning the monitor."

FWIW, I bought a $25 B&W 5" TV at Target and hooked it up to my Philips SACD player, to the composite output. I use it for "running" the unit so I don't have to fire up the big TeeVee or future projector. The audio circuit in the TV makes an awful noise, though, so I have to open the case up and cut the speaker wires -- it's picking up some kind of extraneous signal that the volume switch won't kill.

You can play DVD-As on a standard DVD player, but you will be limited to the Dolby Digital and DTS tracks. To hear the Meridian Lossless Packing (or MLP tracks), you would need a DVD-A capable player.

As mentioned before too, You would need 6 analog cables (for the 5.1 channels) and a receiver or pre/pro with a 5.1 input.