new klf 20's be here next week!!!!!

hammerin

I just bought a pair of KLF 20's from jazman, should be here next week.I'm going to check into biamping them,I plan on running the low's with a pair of kenwood L-07M monoblocks, but i need suggestions on what to run the high's with??? would like to try tube's, seem's from what i gather on this forum tubes would tame a little of the harshness on these speakers. any thought's????

I also own KLF 20's and your right about being harsh unless matched with the right amp. In 2001 I bought a Monarchy Audio SM 70 25 watt stereo amp with a Dennon A/V 4800 receiver that was a good match for the 20's. Still a tad bit bright but not extreme. I also have the matching center channel with SB3's for rears and the RSW 12 sub.

In Nov I ordered a pair of new La Scalas and decided to buy two new Monarchy SM 70 Pro monoblocks 80 watts, the new version of the amp I bought in 2001, for the La Scalas. When I hooked them up the highs were very detailed and the bass was tighter but they were much more harsh than the single SM 70. After two weeks I went down to Lowes and bought some 14 gauge speaker wire and some RCA basic cables that I ran from my cd to the receiver. Sounds much better than before still a bit harsh but I'm hoping with a some more burn in time it will calm down some more.

I was looking at welborne's DRD 45 and may get a pair to match with my Luxman C300 preamp and La Scalas and use the SM 70's for home theater. Using the Dennon as a preamp with the single 70 sounded very good but with the sub added in sounds even better. I don't know what your budget is but cutthroat bought some Welborne DRD 45s and loves them. You can buy the kit and build it yourself saving $300 or have Welborne build it. You might contact him about them. Go to www.welbornelabs.com and check it out. Well good luck and the 20's are excellent speakers I have enjoyed mine very much.

Xman

I had 30's for about a year and loved them. The only reason they are elsewhere is because I got my Khorns.

FWIW I learned that the major issue with the 30's was GIGO ( Garbage in = Garbage out ). I have since confirmed that with my Khorns. I disposed of a lotta crapola CDs after playing them through my 30's but kept some hoping the Khorns would make them listenable ( Neil Diamond mainly)< Just tried again ------Utterly lifeless------>

Your 20's are likely hinting that there is a problem with your source materials/omponents.

----------------

On 12/24/2003 7:33:55 PM hammerin wrote:

I just bought a pair of KLF 20's from jazman, should be here next week.I'm going to check into biamping them,I plan on running the low's with a pair of kenwood L-07M monoblocks, but i need suggestions on what to run the high's with??? would like to try tube's, seem's from what i gather on this forum tubes would tame a little of the harshness on these speakers. any thought's????

----------------

I'm powering some KLF-20's off of 2 channels of my Parasound HCA-855a and I' don't think they're harsh at all.